Your opinion guys?

I recenty started a PBEM game on a competitive ladder with a guy who sent me this email:

"I have never had this happen before... can we go back to turn 14? My armour

just decided to zip off the map all on its own accord and has disappeared

from existence. I automatically lose if we don't."

I'm not sure how I should answer this. What would you guys do?

Have him send his turns (both before & after the disappearance) and password to a third party… if the story check’s out go back to turn 14

If not do whatever ladder players do when they find out their opponents are cheating scum

Well I just think only three things could have happened:

1) My nearby artillery strike caused the tanks to drive off

2) He gave the tanks a sloppy movement order through pines or something that made them re-route themselves off the map.

3) He had his tanks too close to the edge of the map.

I've never heard of tanks suddenly driving off the map for no reason. I feel like he's saying: "Hey how about giving me another chance to beat you?" Suppose I give him another chance and then his tanks drive up and knock all mine out - then how will that feel?

I guess I just mainly wanted to know if anyone has ever had tanks suddenly do things without orders.

Erm, my tanks rarely do what I tell them. But I've never had them drive off the map. Tell him that to lose one tank is unfortunate, to lose all of them looks like carelessness. Sod him, if he can't keep his troops under control he shouldn't be in playing strangers on the internet.

Alternatively you could offer to exit your AT guns and tank destroyers to even things out, seeing as you probably won't need them now :D

Guest ExplodingMonkey

I tried ladders a couple of times. They are composed of two kinds of people: Those who will cheat or work in any kind of unfair advantage they can to keep their rank up, and those who are clueless to such kinds of low-life scum.

I was one of the clueless. The request that has been handed to you sounds pretty much like a standard ladder player of the first kind I mentioned.

My favorite was always how they would stop sending turns when it was clear they were losing to me. One guy changed his email to make it look like he was no longer on the net, and I had another give me lame excuses about a death in the family. But for some strange reason, they both continued to climb the ladder with a series of victories.

Avoid ladders at all costs.

Originally posted by Der Kuenstler:

Well I just think only three things could have happened:

1) My nearby artillery strike caused the tanks to drive off

2) He gave the tanks a sloppy movement order through pines or something that made them re-route themselves off the map.

3) He had his tanks too close to the edge of the map.

I don't think any of these reasons will make a tank drive off on its own. The only time I've seen one do so is if they are panicked and in direct LOS to an enemy that can kill it.

I had a Pz4 drive off the map without orders in "FMR Tank warning" when I tried to outflank the enemy on the very far left.

In this particular case it was very close to the map edge when it spotted hordes of T34s and retreated out of the map.

I consider this my own fault. After all you shouldn't really go this close to the edge, since there is no map edge in real life and this way you have worry about a much smaller angle of incoming fire than in reality.

If your opponents problems were caused by this, he shoiuldn't have taken the risk.

I had a tank go off the edge once. I had plotted a fast move to the edge area and then a 90 degree turn to go up the edge. The good ol' AI of course replots all 90 degree turns and the tank just shot right off into space, never to be seen again.

That was my mistake, not my opponents. A lesson learned and very careful around the edges now.

lee :)

I agree, ladders in any game are full of fishy people. It is great to be competitive, but many will cheat and wear false laurels.

Tanks go off the board for all the reasons mentioned above. Not for some "bug" for which the game is to blame. Your opponent screwed up and in a ladder game that is too bad for him.

If you have artillery in the area... then they drove off as a result of enemy action. You caused it. You won't get points for their destruction, but they won't cause you anymore harm and will lower his global moral.

Even in a game among friends, that is a fishy request. Either admit "I gave them bad orders" or "I tried to pull a manuever too close to the edge and they rerouted themselves off the board." He is too blame.

Guest ExplodingMonkey
Originally posted by Der Kuenstler:

Very well - thanks guys - I've decided no mercy will be shown - after all - this is the EAST FRONT! I know I personally hold myself to the same standard and if something bad happens to my boys, it happens - no whining. By the way it is turn 15.

Good for you! Don't be suprised though when he stops the game for some reason (or no reason at all!)...

"I'm really busy at work right now, can't play anymore."

"Even though you were winning, my cat died; I have to quit."

"My PC is dead, no more gaming for me."

"Aliens have invaded my town, sorry."

And then watch him as he keeps climbing the ladder without the loss you would have handed to him. :rolleyes:

Der Kuenstler

I once played a game and switched frim tcp to pbem only to have my opponent tell me (and i also saw it as they were visible) loose 4 shermans. As the next reinforcements rolled in he got those 4 back plus the reinforcements plus 4 more shermans that were not planned. I knew my opponent and he is a good guy I have known since we were kids so no cheating. He checked how his reinf. should arrive and thus the aliens abducted 4 they returned 8. Not bad. So we agreed that he didn´t use the 4 extra tanks and had a great fight in the end. So I can say they can dissappear but I think our game got twitched in the Matrix as we unaware of the reinforcements arriving stopped the tcp and changed to pbem in that decicive moment , and tehn on next reinf turns out all messed up too.

Cheers

LT