"Operation " question

I just started my first "operation" in CMBO and have a question regarding the disposition of enemy units at the end of battles.

Towards the end of the first battle I had converged on a town square to find several AT and AA gun emplacements as well as a couple of MG bunkers.

I decided to pull my units back since it was turn 23 of 25. I wanted to make sure that my units were properly resupplied and had heard that if your frontline units are too close to the enemy they might not get any or all of their ammo and replacements.

I figured that since these enemy units could not travel far without being towed (there was only one transport which was destroyed on turn 24) I would assault them with infantry/mortars at the beginning of the next battle.

I was a little surprised to find that these units, other than the MG bunkers, had vanished when turn 1 of the following battle started.

My main question is:

Were these units withdrawn and repositioned so that I will eventually have to deal with them later on in the battle, or are they removed from the field of battle completely?

I as seriously thinking about reloading at turn 20 so that I can eliminate these units in close if I will be facing them later on at distance. I don't like to, and haven't yet on this operation, load up a saved game to make up for a mistake in judgement.

They have been moved. It can be a little unrealistic depending on the interval between battles, but all units including guns can be moved pretty much any distance between battles in an op. The only exception are truly large guns (88s) which can do the same, but only if appropriate transport is available. This means, as you point out, that you can end up facing the same guns battle after battle in different positions unless you take them out.

• 2 weeks later...