Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sherman

The Shermans in CMBB are armed with either the 75mm/L38 or the 76mm/L54 that they came over on the boat with. As far as I can tell, there is not an option for a Sherman equipped with a Russian gun of any variety.

I suppose it is possibile that somewhere on the East front Shermans were rearmed with Russian 76.2mm guns. If so, I have never heard of it, and all of the pictures I have seen of lend-lease Shermans show them with either American 75mm or 76mm guns.

Cheers

Remember to that when the Soviets were using large numbers of LL tanks they were doing so because they need them in a hurry. It would be a luxury to have the time to refit the main armament. Even with guns of similar caliber there is still a ton of work involved. By the time they had the time they really didn't need to use lots of other people's armor since they had plenty of their own.

Originally posted by sGTGoody:

Remember to that when the Soviets were using large numbers of LL tanks they were doing so because they need them in a hurry. It would be a luxury to have the time to refit the main armament. Even with guns of similar caliber there is still a ton of work involved. By the time they had the time they really didn't need to use lots of other people's armor since they had plenty of their own.

Despite all of which, I believe that a Russian-gunned version of the Sherman existed under the designation of M4M -- see pp. 217 of Zaloga & Grandsen. Quite what the point was is beyond me, as the only advantage the F-34 seems to have over the M3 is the availability of an APCR round. No wonder messrs. Z. and G. describe the variant as "not widespread".

All the best,

John.

Jim, the picture is only the thumbnail from my 'Beobachtungsabteilung' site (link in my sig). The 'sock' is a round that came out of the barrel. The picture was taken in AG North sector, probably Ssinyavino/Mga area. I believe it is a standard 75mm gun on this one.

According to my grandfather the tank lost a duel with a howitzer battery, but that maybe 'Landsergarn'.

Russian liked the Sherman 75s, loved the Sherman 76s. Reliable vehicles. Softer U.S. armor was less likely to spall from non-penetrating hits. Those 3-man turrets were a luxury comapred to the cramped 2-man T34-76s. And anyone who played CMBO would know the utility of the 75's 'American Smoke' shell! That's the only thing I miss from CMBO, smoking-out Panthers and tigers.

There are photos of Sherman 76s in Berlin, so I can assume they saw some VERY heavy fighting.

Fighting with the T-34 does make you appreciate some of the good points of the Sherman. Aside from the smoke, the ability to kill a StugIII frontally with the Sherman75 is a very welcome quality.

What suprised me the most, however is how closely analogous the Sherm75 and T-34/76, and later the Sherm76 and the T-34/85, actually are. One area where the Russians seem to have trumped the Yanks is that once they committed to the 85mm gun, they committed wholeheartedly and ended up making about 20,000 such tanks, whereas the Sherm76 was always in short supply in the West.

My one question about the Shermans on the Ostfront is their tendency toward bogging. Was that a serious problem given the by-turns rugged-icy-boggy Russian terrain, or did the Ruskies find work-arounds? I'm guessing they didn't get many Easy-8s. Also, why DIDN'T the T-34s get smoke rounds? A bit of smoke can sure help survival chances when you're trying to manuever toward a close-in flank shot on a Panther. In general smoke seems to be in short supply in the Russian arsenal, as represented in CMBB.

[ February 27, 2003, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

I did hear the Russian were absolutely appalled by the Sherman's tendency to slide on ice. The U.S. had the same trouble (there are a lot of photos of Shermans and M10s overturned next to icy roads during the Bulge battles) but didn't know any better. The Russians could compare them to T34s that actually stayed in place on an icy road.

[ February 27, 2003, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Most of the traction problems with the Sherman came from using the narrow all metal traveling treads. They had versions of the treads with better traction but many tanks in the Ardennes lacked them because it was a "quiet" sector. I don't know if the good track got shipped to the Soviets though. Even with the good tread, however, the 34's wider treads would have given it better performance.