Embarking Oddity

In a recent QB, I was playing as the Russians. I used an M3 Scout Car, transport class 6, to move a Maxim MG, transport class 3. After unloading the MG, the scout car went to get an 82mm mortar team, transport class 3. However, the mortar team would not embark into the scout car. The scout car was empty and none of the units were under fire. Why did this happen?

Originally posted by Sergei:

Damn it, Joachim beat me to it - TWICE. I'm getting old...

You'd hit it... TWICE. :D

Anyway, the Russian 82mm mortar team really is an oddity: I never remember the huge crew size.

Can't keep a track on how many times I've based my strategy on hauling mortar teams with jeeps or MG carriers. The results have been most frustrating. ;)

Aside from the transport class, vehicles capable of transporting units are either team or full squad. (M3 scout car is a team)

Team:

Can carry one team of up to and including 6 men. That's it. If a single sharpshooter gets in, that vehicle is holding a team => is full.

Full Squad:

Can carry one squad unit of any size plus a team of up to and including two men, or two teams of up to six men. In certain situations it is possible to tow two guns with one vehicle, but for most combinations the transport class limits it. For example, if a 7 man crew gets in a full squad transport, this counts as a full squad, so only a 2 man team may also embark. Equally, a 13 man squad could embark and a 2 man team would still be able to get in.

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Aside from the transport class, vehicles capable of transporting units are either team or full squad.

Unless I missed something in the manual, how do you know which vehicles are full and which are half?

I've seen this bug, it seems to particularly hit Russian 82mm observer teams. I have two in a scenario I'm working on, and one of them will not embark on anything- tank, halftrack, empty truck, I could probably drag in the Queen Mary and he'd say "sorry, too small."

If I had to guess, it would be that occasionally when a unit is instantiated, the team member number paramter is set to something whacked. No idea why it seems to hit Russian 82mm in particular.

Sanok: check the unit details screen. The size is listed along with transport class: none, team, squad.

Vossiewulf: the unit is probably a non-radio FO...meaning he has phone cables to keep in contact. They are slow afoot and cannot embark on anything, due to the cables back to the battery.

[ June 15, 2004, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: Spotless ]