Why dont battlefront be like the rest of the world and use gamespy for muliplayer?

Originally posted by ASHBERY76:

Settle down, Beavis.

Ok. I don't know about arrogance, but these forums display the worst examples of humor I've ever witnessed. EVER.

Poor sense of comedy aside, there's a throng of more or less seasoned WW2 hobbyists here; the kind of people you (or at least I) want to play Combat Mission with. Like I stated earlier, CM isn't suitable for Gamespy due to the amount of preparation it requires in comparison to other games that utilize it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of (good) games who DON'T use gamespy for multiplayer.

Starcraft (Battle.net) Rainbow six (ubi.com or something), ok these are the only games i know.

And all those microsoft games...

Gamespy has disadvantages and advantages some people who use it are, very childish behaviour, sometimes racism, etc...

But also good ones, where people were friendly and actually helpful (what cannot be said of the PENG thread damn you all!!! :mad: )

Besides i don't most people here have enough time to spend searching to play a full tcp/ip game...

And maybe i'm blind but people seem to find people to play CM with very easily...

Originally posted by stikkypixie:

But also good ones, where people were friendly and actually helpful (what cannot be said of the PENG thread damn you all!!! :mad: )

By this ( :mad: ) you obviously mean the Cherry Wafflers. The Peng Thread is full of helpful people! Why you can find someone there at anytime of day willing to take time out to tell you to SOD OFF!

Is this the maturity that arrogant man talked about. tongue.gif

The notoriously pathetic "Peng" thread is an exception to the rule. It's sort of a form of Darwinism: certain annoying people are kept busy posting to that thread, so they don't have time to procreate. Otherwise, the level of discussion is way more mature.

(I'm mature enough to want Steve sexually. :D )

Is this the maturity that arrogant man talked about. tongue.gif

Listen to yourself. Your posting makes you sound like a 9-year old. You didn't reply to any of my post or any of my questions. If you took the time to read the FAQ it would answer your questions.

FWIW - there are a fair number of UK citizens on here, and I'd rather you didn't lower the tone by acting like a child.

Originally posted by Soddball:

Your posting makes you sound like a 9-year old. You didn't reply to any of my post or any of my questions. If you took the time to read the FAQ it would answer your questions.

[/QB]

I made the simple statement that gamespy is a far more efficient way of playing multiplayer and should be included in future BF games.The present BF system of finding opponents belongs in another era.The likes of paradox,matrix,ubi soft,etc have complex games that use their own version of a gamespy, and it's very efficient.

Originally posted by Los:

"Why?,the fact is most serious publishers use the gamespy arcade because it's the easiest way to find opponents, of course your not forced to use it."

Do yourself a favor and ditch Gamespy. Use "The All Seeing Eye" instead.

Los

He's right, for your FPS style games, ASE can't be beat.. except by an internal browser, and even then it's a close thing smile.gif

I couldn't even fathom playing a match in CM against an anonymous opponent. Getting to know your opponent through PBEM makes the victory (or defeat) that much more fun! And I wouldn't imagine that many of the people on Gamespy would bother to continue correspondance after the match has ended. I cherish the people I have played who I can discuss the battle with after it has ended. It also allowed me to learn a lot about things I did right or wrong, and develop the tactics I use today.

Perhaps Ash should just buy XBox Live if he prefers a quick, anonymous game of something frivolous.

By this ( ) you obviously mean the Cherry Wafflers. The Peng Thread is full of helpful people! Why you can find someone there at anytime of day willing to take time out to tell you to SOD OFF!

I don't know the difference, and frankly I DON'T CARE. If i want to told to sod off, i would try to get a date!! GRRRR

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Soddball:

Your posting makes you sound like a 9-year old. You didn't reply to any of my post or any of my questions. If you took the time to read the FAQ it would answer your questions.

I made the simple statement that gamespy is a far more efficient way of playing multiplayer and should be included in future BF games.The present BF system of finding opponents belongs in another era.The likes of paradox,matrix,ubi soft,etc have complex games that use their own version of a gamespy, and it's very efficient. [/QB]</font>

Why is anyone answering this dolt? CMBB and all those FPS games are so entirely dissimilar, that there's possible comparison. Might as well ask why the Red Army didn't use light sabres instead of rifles...

It's a set up. The troll asks "why don't battlefront..." Surely his inability to use the correct version of the verb should have warned the serious posters here.

Gamespy itself would be a poor fit for CM. First, it is a pure head to head game with no dedicated servers to latch onto. Second, there is no way to start CM from the command line and join a game, which is how other games join games from gamespy AFAIK. Third, the licensing fees are atrocious. Fourth, no mac support. And fifth, I have seen many good games delayed/ruined while adding gamespy support.

But this is not to say that the ability to use an online matchin service and join IP games by double clicking rather than entering IP addresses is a fundamentally bad idea. On the contrary, it should be a feature considered for CMX2, especially if they implement true multiplayer. It would require comparitively little effort on BFC's part to add a few command line switches for CMX2 to allow 3rd party developers to create utilities to handle player matching and such. If anyone is familiar with IL2, think hyperlobby for CM.

WWB

Hmm. Doesn't seem like a discussion that encompasses a "good idea/bad idea" dilemna.

I have seen a few threads in which someone will say they are having problems finding opponents. They will then be kindly directed to the opponent finder. Then they will be inundated with email addresses of hopeful opponents. They invariably put up a post after that asking that nobody else post an email, as they now have enough opponents to last until CMx42 comes out (would that be the CM:Dutch Trucks module? j/k).

A number of people have commented on the friendships they have made playing in the current mode. I wholeheartedly agree. That is why I do not play IL2/FB, and still fly European Air War at HyperLobby: IL2/FB lacks that personal element that EAW will always have.

WWB... never used hyperlobby so not sure I'm following what you're saying. Personally I wouldn't get into a game of CM without having an opportunity to have some kind of correspondance with my prospective opponent. I know gamespy (in my experience) is usually "click on this to join this game" or such. I personally think an IRC channel is a more than adequate way to find an opponent, but I can understand if some people are simply too busy to persue such avenues. Is Hyperlobby a more personal venue than Gamespy?

Just call me "The UnEducated One" if that's necessary smile.gif

It's a fair question. I have trouble finding opponents at times, and I will post at two sites when I want one, and I'll often wait more than a couple of days for even two measly pbems.

That said, maybe "noobs" don't want to post in the opponent finder forum for games--maybe they fear sharks troll those waters--these "fora" are indeed somewhat introverted, not to mention snarky. smile.gif Not surprising someone would hesitate to seek opponents here, might be a bit put off or even intimidated.

If you want the community and the game and the philosophy of the game to grow, you have to allow for some purportedly questionable ideas to further dynamism. To paraphrase Macchiavelli. tongue.gif

Some clairifications:

I am rather involved in the community, and spend a fair amount of time on IRC. I dont think I have ever discussed anything while playing an FPS, but many of the people I play CM with I consider friends and have even traveled a fair bit to see.

I think the more personal involvement in CM games is a fundamentally good thing, as well as necessary considering the nature of the game. Even a modest size TCP match takes an hour or two. I do not want to see this go, nor do I want to see the kind of faceless gamespy community which exists for, say, CounterStrike.

But, while in the CMHQ IRC channel, I have helped a number of people with connection issues. End users dont mix well with IP addresses, NAT and port forwarding. Bottom line is that, in 2004, there is absolutely no reason why someone should have to manually enter IP addresses in order to join games. It should be a point and click option. I wonder how many players were turned off from TCP play because they could not figure out how to connect?

WWB

Good points by both Konstantine and WWB.

I agree that new ideas and additional possibilities should always be considered. I think the Hyperobby for CM idea is pretty good. it does allow a certain ability to "get to know" an opponent before playing. And, yes, I have had a little trepidation regarding the probability of sharks trolling the opponent finder forum. As the huge majority of my games have been vs AI, it is not a huge concern to me. I have found two good opponents, though. By good, I mean nice fellows who don't immediately beat my a$$, lol.