opinions on mark clark?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Andreas:

[QB]

Michael, I have to agree with Jon -

Did I say anywhere that I disagreed with him?

where SSF was sitting not a lot did happen.
Did I say it did?

The Mussolini channel combined with the Pontine Marches was a very good protection - also, for much of that line most of the ship's artillery could work quite well, even on the smaller units.
Did I say otherwise?

This is IMO confirmed by the fact that the main fighting went on in the other areas, notably Aprilia 'The factory') and in the general direction from there to Cisterna, east of Padiglione wood.
Did I deny this?

Seems to me that maybe the unit history is out to make things a bit more glorious than they were.
Have you read it?

Have I quoted it?

Have I inferred any such thing?

Or did I simply post a quote regarding to the length of the front line at Anzio in addition to the general "crowded" condition of the SSF sector?

What were we on about again? :confused:

[ August 02, 2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]

Ah, my apologies, the 'more glorious' bit was actually in reference to the quote from 'D-Day Dodgers' saying the frontline was held 'dangerously thin', not the divisional history. Or sumfink. Other than that it is nice to see we agree.

Although I am not quite sure whether 1st SSF actually tied down much of HG - referring to your second post now. I can check that when I am back with my sources. The Germans did not like to operate with significant forces at the sea-edge of the perimeter, because they were afraid of the naval artillery coming into play there, and I am not sure whether they posted much along the Mussolini Canal.

Somehow the discussion about Clark turned into an Anzio thread. If I remember right, though, Anzio was Churchill's idea and Clark wasn't the main man behind it.

How much responsibility for Anzio did Clark have?

Anyway, if I remember right, I managed to drive from Positano to Rome in about three hours. By that standard, Clark is clearly subpar.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Stipulate. Attest to. Agree. Not argue. y'know?

No I did not, actually. Never heard it used that way, and dictionary.com did not throw it up as first choice. I only knew 'stipulate' in the form of 'I stipulate that condition', or sumfink. Thanks for enlightening me smile.gif

Originally posted by Aacooper:

Somehow the discussion about Clark turned into an Anzio thread. If I remember right, though, Anzio was Churchill's idea and Clark wasn't the main man behind it.

How much responsibility for Anzio did Clark have?

Anyway, if I remember right, I managed to drive from Positano to Rome in about three hours. By that standard, Clark is clearly subpar.

That is hardly fair, since you did not have to deal with German 10th Army (well, maybe German 10th Holidaymaker Army (mot)...) on your way :D

Not sure now who was responsible for Anzio in the end. It sounds to sensible a plan to be of Churchillian origin. The problem was the execution after all, on paper it looked alright. To reiterate, Clark's remark to Lucas 'Don't stick your neck out...' is often blamed for the cautiousness on the part of Lucas.

So what are your thoughts about Clark's interference in the break-out battles?

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently reading the book SALERNO covering the invasion of Italy. I'm only on D-Day for operation Avalanche. It was Mark Clark’s first major command.

He decided not to use a softening up shipboard bombardment of the area in order to achieve surprise. Clark’s underlings tried to convince him to release the naval guns before the invasion, yet he refused.

Even as the boats were approaching the shore it was known that surprise had been lost. Yet the bombardment was with held. The troops landed in the US sector were under intense attack, yet shipboard arty support was withheld.

The Brit naval commander removed the hold on SB arty way before it was lifted in the US sector.

Clark was a fool.

I agree, Clark was a fool. I have no evidence to back this up! Yet I have yet to read a single account that puts him a good light.

I reckon that if you select another General from all those available that you would have a 99% chance they would have been better than Clark, the other 1% would have been just as bad, not worse.

He might have made a very good staff officer under a capable commander. Giving him an independent command was a not a great idea. It's sort of too bad that he wasn't born four or five years later. He reached flag rank too early in the war.

Michael

[ August 12, 2003, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: Michael Emrys ]