Question for Russian speakers

I've just made a north direction pointer using a Cyrillic S. Before I go crazy trying to get the colors to blend correctly, is this how you indicate north on a Russian map? The compass rose tends to be a western nautical-influenced usage. I've looked at a (very) few Soviet maps and couldn't find anything beyond scale indicators and the orientation of the text to suggest which way north might be. I realize that maps were almost like guarded secrets back then.

If there is no appropriate period north indicator, what, as a russian-speaker, would you rather stare at: an arrow with a Cyrillic "S" on top of it, or an arrow with an inexplicably western language roman alphabet "N". I suppose I could also come up with a Cyrillic "N", but I'm not sure what it would stand for.

I don't have enough space on my hard drive at the moment to load up IL-2 and figure out what is written on the russian compass to indicate north.

Originally posted by Philippe:

I've just made a north direction pointer using a Cyrillic S. Before I go crazy trying to get the colors to blend correctly, is this how you indicate north on a Russian map?

I can't recall seeing compass roses on Russian maps, but I donlt seem to have many examples to hand. I do, however, have a copy of "Poligon" no. 1 vol. 9 which includes a sketch map of an aerosan raid on Zubets. This indicates North using a simple arrow with the letter "С" labelling north and "Ю" labelling south.

All the best,

John.

Thanks. That's the confirmation that I was looking for.

(For the alphabetically challenged, Cyrillic uses what palaeographers refer to as a lunate sigma -- aka "c" -- for the letter "S".)

Maybe if I make enough bells and whistles for the not yet existant slavic edition I can convince BTS to sell a special edition to the armed forces of Byelorussia, the Russian Federation, and/or the Ukraine. Assuming they actually get paid in hard currency they could use the proceeds to defray the costs of updating the CMBB model to accomodate multi-turreted Soviet tanks. I would be really surprised if there were any plans for including them in CMx2.

I've posted a German and a Russian north indicator together at CMMODS. Here's what they look like:

germanandrussiannorth6tc.jpg

Thanks to Image Shack for providing free hosting.

I made them with a darker border, so if you feel these get lost in a large landscape just recolor in Paint using the paint can. I got good results with several shades of dark green and burnt umber.

Philippe,

Soviet maps were indeed closely held items, and if you'd ever seen one you'd know why. The amount of detailed information in their maps, if you're used to, say, U.S. 1:50,000 tactical maps, is nothing short of astounding. If you can find a copy of TM 30-548, Soviet Topographic Map Symbols, you'll see what I mean.

Regards,

John Kettler