A strange observation...

So I was playing a 1250pt QB against the AI, me defending as the Germans against a Soviet assault. The Soviets were a combined arms force from with a Guard's mech parent unit. The date was June 1944.

After the battle, I was looking at the enemies force composition. Most of their squads were the SMG/LMG mix type. I also noticed that these squads, for their LMG, either had a DP mg, or a DPM mg.

Now here is my strange observation. The DPM's 'stats' are as follows:

40m 100m 250m 500m

FP 10 23 20 11

So I was just wondering, why does this lmg have its lowest firepower rating at 40m? Is this a bug in the game, or just an error on the tables? Or have I just stupidly overlooked something?

The MG takes 2 men to man. One of the SMGs has to be subtracted from its firepower, because the loader can use his own SMG or help with the LMG, but not both. This is obviously most noticable at the closest range etc.

The real reason those squad types are broken, though, is the way ammo pooling works. When the LMG fires at 250m, all the SMGs run dry. So they suck as a squad type. Don't take them.