Panther Armor Stats

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

What does it mean: "The gun has direct sights to 1,500 meters"?

The scales in the gun mount indicating the currently set range go to 1500 meters.

if you want to fire on a target farther away you have to do it without the optical help (but you would still have the magnification unless elevation becomes too high.

Hope I am not OT but how about that :

"[The Panther] approximates (corresponds roughly to) our General Sherman, a tank which evoked complimentary comment in the Nazi press."

Really ? I'd be curious to learn what was the appreciation of the Sherman by the German at the time. "Complimentary" would not have been my guess though. Any insight ?

Originally posted by Tarkus:

"[The Panther] approximates (corresponds roughly to) our General Sherman, a tank which evoked complimentary comment in the Nazi press."

Really ? I'd be curious to learn what was the appreciation of the Sherman by the German at the time. "Complimentary" would not have been my guess though. Any insight ?

The fact that it burned easily. The Allies didn't appreciate this but the Germans sure did. Thus the nickname "Tommy cooker".

Originally posted by Redwolf:

That report is all bs.gif

Agree that there are some oddball aspects to it, the Panthers at Kursk knocked out some T34's at 3000m so a sight limited to 1500m is just not right.

Shows what kind of stuff is possible during wartime. We've had years to go over the stats and compare different sources, they were in a hurry sometime and hadn't been looking at different tanks for a decade or so.

Originally posted by Tarkus:

Timing - the Sherman was kind of ueber in '42 and '43.

While at the Littlefield Armor Collection I took angular measurements of the Panthers glacis and upper side hull plates using a dial protractor – the kind with the magnetic base strip. The tank was on blocks as it was being refurbished. The engine was not in the hull, nor was the turret on the hull. I first took several shots on the hull deck and found it to be perfectly level. I also measured the concrete slab in several locations to make sure that the Panther was setting on level ground (or should I say the timber blocks were setting on level ground). The floor was also perfectly level. I found that the glacis was inclined at a tad over 57-deg – perhaps 57.3-deg. Measurement of the upper side hull plates came out to pretty much right at 30-degs. Sort of interesting. I took a photo of this little exercise as I felt sure most folks would be skeptical. Obviously when the engine and turret were installed the "relative" glacis inclination would change slightly. But given manufacturing tolerances it would seem odd if every Panthers glacis sat perfectly at 55-degrees.

I plan on heading back when refurbishing is complete, and will take additional angular measurements when the vehicle is setting in a natural position.