Winter vs non-winter mods and a suggestion for CMX2

I don't use any of the winter mods that have been created by some of the talented modders out there. The reason is because it is a pain in the butt to switch the bitmaps over for one or two scenarios just to see the proper uniforms, camo schemes, etc. I realize that there is a program that has been created by fanatical CM'ers but really feel that perhaps this should be handled "in game". I hope that in CMX2, Battlefront builds in winter/non-winter uniform and camo scheme bitmaps and has the game automatically apply them. Or at the very least builds something into the game to let the player apply them quickly and easily.

As the posters above hinted but didn't say explicitly, you don't have to manually switch your winter mods and your rest-of-the-year mods, even if you don't have CMMOS. Winter mods have a different bmp number and only appear in the game if there is snow on the ground. So, you can have one set of bmps, with both summer and winter mods, and the game will do the switching for you.

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Do you mean to say that I can download winter mods and place them in the BMP folder and when I play scenarios with snow the game will use the winterized version of tanks and uniforms?

Yep, winter mods will only show up with scenarios/battles that have snow on the ground. There is no need to "switch back" b/c there is no switching! As someone mentioned already, CMBB did not come with winter mods. CMBO was the same, I think.

J Kruger

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

I did not know that. Do you mean to say that I can download winter mods and place them in the BMP folder and when I play scenarios with snow the game will use the winterized version of tanks and uniforms?

The vanilla version of the game did not come with the winter BMP's?

That's correct. Example (not real BMPs):

Hezter (Summer) - 4520-4539

Hetzer (Winter) - 54520-54539

Another:

SU-122 (Summer) - 12640-12659

SU-122 (Winter) - 62640-62659

Also, German tanks can have a "late-war" color scheme (usually the yellow, but mod could be any color) by adding 10 to the number. Example:

Hezter (Summer) - 104520-104539

Hetzer (Winter) - 154520-154539

Hope this helps.

Welcome to the wonderful world of winter white mods!!! Put your sunglasses on if snow blindness sets in. :cool: I opt for the aerial recognition flags also to ease the eyes. If you have problems seeing each unit don't forget to switch the unit bases on--press Shift + B. Now get to the 'base! I highly reccomend any winter mod done by Gautrek or Kingfisher. All are good but these two guys have a good eye for the winter white stuff. Enjoy! :D

On one hand it's downright embarrassing but on the other hand it's a fantastic find. I downloaded about 8 winter mods last night and will be working on some more this evening if CMMODS is up.

I've had both games for quite a while now and never even knew. I thought that was what CMMOS was for.

Thanks again guys!

With the unexpected demise of CMMODS.COM, I have decided to purchase the special retail edition of CMBB in the hopes that the second chocked-full-of mods CD will contain a good number of winter mods. I was able to get some good mods from the Combat Mission Headquarters site but now that I know the game is fully capable of switching to winter mods when there is snow on the ground, I'm anxious to get as many as I can.

I feel like half a man knowing that my CMBB world is somehow not complete.