raupenslepper ost

Ok, my first post so first a nice "hi! my name is thomas and im a CM addict"

Alright, finished, now to my question

the Raupenslepper Ost isnt in CMBB, how could that be?

and if this is answered before I apologize but I havent been able to find anything about it.

Cheers Thomas Aka Chainsaw

Chainsaw,

Welcome! If it isn't in the game, then it was probably a case of not enough time to build the model and supporting database and/or lack of room on the single CD on which CMBB shipped and/or a judgment call by BFC.com that something else was more important.

David I, stikkypixie,

An RSO is essentially a tracked light truck fielded in response to the dread Russian mud. It's nearest Allied equivalent would be the much lower capacity M-29 Weasel, which isn't in CMBO. Sadly for German weapon grogs, though, there was another RSO version, a cabless one mounting a Pak 40 75mm antitank gun on a low profile, small platform. A terrific little ambush weapon shown here in model form

http://www.ww2modelmaker.com/modelpages/BSrso40.htm

and here in real life. It would appear that the vehicle didn't make it past combat trials.

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/3620/rso_pak.htm

Chainsaw,

I suspect this is the one you're really asking about.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 07, 2006, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Chainsaw & John,

You learn something new every day. I've seen pictures of them, but never really knew what they were. Fairly obscure, I assume. I'm kinda hoping that the WWII version of CMX2, with it's limitted scope per game will provide more diferation between vehicles within a given area.

For example, it would be nice to see 20mm guns on the SPW 251/17 and the Flaktracks, etc.

DavidI

David I,

Per the second link, 60 of the Pak 40 armed RSOs were built, all of which went to the field for what we'd call combat trials. Which specific unit got how many is described in the article at that link.

If you need more detail than that, you're going to need to consult/have someone investigate on your behalf, the named unit war diary or diaries. Was glad to have that level of information, but was surprised to discover that the Pak40/4 auf raupenschlepper ost was armored. I'd always believed it to be a softskin, just like the vanilla RSO.

I thought the Drilling had 3xMG 151s (15mm HMGs) in a high angle capable armored mount for Jabo defense.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 07, 2006, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Hum thanks for the info about that. but frankly I just want a RSO to do the duty the truck do, in other words pulling PAKs and IGs. Right now I use Trucks or Sdkfz if I have points for it, just got curius why we didnt have an RSO to tow PAKs with.

Geez I didnt know of the PAks mounted on the RSOs... pretty cool.

I actually recall (vaguely) Matt responding to the RSO inclusion question way back. I think his response was something like "Its just a frickin' truck!", or something similar. In other words, its one of a number of behind-the-lines winter transports and its inclusion wouldn't have made a tactical difference for the "point-of-the-spear' that CMBB simulates. Still, it would've looked cool ;)

MikeyD wrote:

"I actually recall (vaguely) Matt responding to the RSO inclusion question way back. I think his response was something like "Its just a frickin' truck!", or something similar. In other words, its one of a number of behind-the-lines winter transports and its inclusion wouldn't have made a tactical difference for the "point-of-the-spear' that CMBB simulates. Still, it would've looked cool [Wink]"

Yeah, its nothing more then a "fricking truck" but as you say it would be cool to have it, but despite that , the SdKfz7 do fill the criteria that is needed to tow a PAK40 or sIG or whatever, so the RSO isnt really needed if you think about it.

Sure if you do a thorough research you can surely proof that the RSO didnt bogg as easy as the SdKfz7 if you compare them side by side, but the SdKfz7 still make the work I was looking after when I asked for the RSO.

Cheers Chainsaw