AFTER CMAK??? WAHT NEXT?

Niko

"OS X compatibility is tops on the list." Thanks for the support Martin & BFC.

The ironic part for me is I was never a war game fan till I discovered CM on a Mac. Now, a little over a year & three Mac CM titles latter, I am still grinning & happy on old Mac OS9.1. CM-X2 in OS X on the new G5+ will be astonishing I am sure. I am not in a rush for CM-X2 as I got plenty of CM gaming to entertain myself with before CM-X2 and a new Mac.

Now for the comical part for me…. Please render at minimum of 120 decibels.

BORN ON A MAC!

Get your Mac a runnin'

Head out on the WE-GO way

Lookin' for adventure

And whatever’s fired your way

Yeah BFC's gonna make it happen

Take the world in a love embrace

Fire all of your guns at once

And explode into space

BORN ON A MAC!

BORN ON A MAC!

"Steppe & Woof" Lyrics modified by Dawg Bonz inspired by "Steppenwolf" & BORN TO BE WILD 1968 release.

Off to work. Carry on!

smile.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My analysis of the latest intelligence (quotes from BTS folks, snippets from gaming sites) suggests that one of the foci for CMII will be infantry modeling (e.g., making infantry look like more realistic, less robot-like tactical entities). Indeed, this is the weakest aspect of an otherwise incredible engine, so it's a natural target for the team's talented programmers. My guess is that there will be more positions (e.g., prone, kneeling, standing, etc.) which will make the grunts look as good as the vehicles. I'm guessing (and hoping) that units in foxholes and trenches will look more realistic; we will only see their heads and rifles rather than a soldier sitting on top of a pile of dirt. I’m also predicting more detailed modeling of improved positions, camouflage and other forms of concealment. Close combat will be more convincing since the soldiers will be able to perform a greater range of motions.

BTS can only move confidently into unexplored theaters (i.e. early WW2, the Pacific, Vietnam) if the new engine can adequately --or convincingly-- handle infantry, so this seems the most logical direction for what seems to be a very savvy group of programmers.

[ January 14, 2004, 06:37 PM: Message edited by: EarlofWarwick ]

For CMx2, I think modern warfare (cold war becomes hot...) would be superb- and the infantry would be much happier packing stinger missiles and Carl Gustav's against the heavies. Real battles are more fun to simulate though... maybe Iraq, Falklands, Vietnam etc. I've got faith the designer types will make a stonker though- they've already made CM series, which speaks for itself in quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Two notes. First I'm a newbie prowling out here while I wait for my CMAK/CMBB Bundle to arrive. Second, I skipped p.2 of this thread. So I apologize if this repeats anything, or sounds stupid to people who know better.

From what I can read, the CM1 game engine has progressed a long way since CMBO. So, one rather obvious suggestion would be to do an expansion pak to CMAK that takes the unit research from CMBO and updates that game to the CMAK game engine.

After all, it could be that the people who would create that db for the CMAK system might be different from the people working on the CM2 game engine. And it might be an easy way to bring some $$ in.

And I wouldn't mind seeing early war west front, or asian pacific modules either. I'd probably buy both if they were available.

I'm not opposed to something more modern, but I've noticed that most of the historical actions since WWII are rather lopsided, and most of the fantasy games (yet another US-USSR in Germany)tend to bore me after awhile. Just my own opinion there.

And just a hint to BFC, I'm much more interested in game play than graphics. Heck, I'm usually pretty happy with a 2D map and computer representations of cardboard counters. That is if its a great game being played with that. I appreciate the way the CM system plays on real terrain, and what that adds over the old squad leader system. But continually tweaking the AI to give better games, and continually working on the game engine to produce a better sim rank much higher on my list than graphics improvements. To be honest, I tend to chuckle when I see discussion as to whether a unit should be wearing berets or field service hats.

From playing the CMAK demo, one thing I'd like is a tighter relationship between the orders phase and the viewing phase. Ie, when I'm clicked on a unit in the viewing phase, I'd like to be able to give orders. Or after I've completed the viewing phase and I'm giving orders, I'd still like to be able to go back and re-view what just happened to that unit.

Text reports during turn playback might make it easier to see what's happening. Maybe its because I'm a newbie, but once the battle hots up, I'm spending a lot of time in replay mode seeing what's happening to unit after unit. If I was getting reports during play back like "1SQD, 1PLT: we're taking MG fire", that might make it a lot easier to see what's happening.

I really hope that BFC stays with ww2. It would be great if the game had all theaters, all time periods of ww2, and a deeper campaigne mode for the ones that like to play the d-day operation, or even the hypotheotical sealion operations. I would love to be able to decide where the allies were going to land or what if the panzers were on the coast during the invasion. I love that the infantry might be re-done. By far cm i the best in the buisness. Keep it up guys.

CM-X2....ummmmm new engine...I wonder that old question at FAQ http://www.battlefront.com/index.htm "That's wierd. I can't find the M3 Grant, the T-28 or the T-35. There were lots of these tanks, and the game is a stickler for accuracy, so why on earth aren't they included?

All these three tanks are 'multi-turreted'. The T-28, for example, had five turrets. The existing game engine can't handle multi-turret firing from tanks, so much to the disappointment of everyone, including the game designers, they were left out. There's a tank that looks as though it's multi-turreted in the game but both turrets fire as one."

Should we ask them if CM-X2's new engine will able run multi-turreted tanks? :D