AFTER CMAK??? WAHT NEXT?

Niko

A long time a go I see some news of the CM series that would be done like the French campaign 1940, Poland 1939 but now I haven see any news of BATTLEFRONT about this, can any body tell me what are the new project of the CM series?

P.D.: Congratulations to all the BATTLEFRONT team!!

Niko

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, First post on these forums. Fan of CM from the beginning. The future looks very promising.

I would love to see what the CMII engine will do.

My most desired senarios:

Arab Israely wars!!! And Middle East Conflict in general (Iran/Iraq War?). IDF takes on all comers!

WWIII historical fiction!!! I would love to see games by decades. 50,60,70,80's I would especialy love to see the 60s with the varios tanks that had character, hords of T55s, and so on. Also, if the "Almost" weapons would be included, the MBT70/80, Conquerer, etc... And Tactical Nukes!!! Davy Crocket Rocket! It would be a literal blast to fire off one from a jeep.

Also, Battlefront, Please Please license out your game engine to some other designers. I would love to see a Warhammer/Warhammer 40K game based on your technology. How about a Lord Of the Rings Strategy game?

I have a few ideas of my own that I would love to develope with this game engine. Someday, someday...

In any case, I think this franchise is only going to improve. It has been so great already, and there is so much more to come.

[ December 26, 2003, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Monkey Hammer ]

Conqueror didn't see service? WRONG!

In service from 1955 to 1965 (approximately)of ~500 models.

Check out my home page for a bit more info (little piccy of a house alongside my screen name - not trying to be patronising - it took me a year or more to work that one out. redface.gif )

Didn't see action in any conflict though.

Same goes for Tac Nukes, but they were a bloody stupid idea. IIRC, the minimum safe distance on some models was greater than the missiles range. Nonetheless, they were deployed as part of the armed forces, quite unlike the MBT80 project, which never really happened.

Originally posted by flamingknives: Conqueror didn't see service? WRONG!

In service from 1955 to 1965 (approximately)of ~500 models.

That was a typo. But yes, I would like to see the heavies and other AFV/MBTs that were not proven in combat, IE Conqueror and M103 in CM someday. Oh, and we cant leave out the wee little guys, loke the Ontos!!!

Nice website by the way. It realy is difficult to find info on beasts such as that. Oh, and yes, you do come of as being patronising.

Say, just occured to me, has anybody modded into CM such beasts like the WWII experimental AFVs? Like the Maus or some such thing?

Same goes for Tac Nukes, but they were a bloody stupid idea. IIRC, the minimum safe distance on some models was greater than the missiles range. Nonetheless, they were deployed as part of the armed forces, quite unlike the MBT80 project, which never really happened. [/qb]
The Davy Crocket was a surefire way to blow yourself to hell. Maybe not if you luanced if from a hardened vehicle, say a MBT with a laucher ala the M4s of WWII with the rocket launchers.

But if you fire one from a jeep/tripod, you are a brave, but very very foolish soldier. But, I am sure you would have taken a good number of Ivans with you though.

It does give some interesting ideas for a attack helo though... Hellfire eat your heart out!

Niko - GenSplatton is right, we're focussing entirely on the new engine (besides patching CMAK where needed of course), and therefore an Early War version with the existing engine has been ruled out. But the new engine will make it easier for us to, among other things, visit new theaters and time periods than we could cover with the old engine, so let's wait and see. smile.gif

Martin

Thanks for the input Moon. Good to see that the Battlefront folks post here, that is a refreshing change from soem of the developer boards that I have been on in the past. Not sure why I didnt check this out sooner, guess I was go buisy playing CM.

Would you be willing to give any hints/speculation about the CMII engine, more specificaly what sort of combat ranges we will be seeing...

Say enough to encompase modern MBT guns and fire control systems, at least 1960/70s technology... :D

Originally posted by Monkey Hammer:

Nice website by the way. It realy is difficult to find info on beasts such as that.

Thanks, and tell me about it. The PRO was the only place I could find anything like that, although I subsequently found out that there is a book published on the subject. It basically prints the salient points out of the user manual for the Conqueror.

Oh, and yes, you do come of as being patronising.
Sorry redface.gif . Like I said, not the intention.

Say, just occured to me, has anybody modded into CM such beasts like the WWII experimental AFVs? Like the Maus or some such thing?

The source code (which you would need to input new 3d models and data into the game) is still closed, so it's impossible for people to do a 3rd party mod of such a kind without first cracking the code.

Wow, I'm astonished that no one has requested the most obvious and needed CM version.. WWII Asian and Pacific theater. Arab Israeli wars and cold war would be nice, but to skip over the entire Pacific theater would be a major shame. All Leathernecks, Chindits and Imperial Army Soldiers, voice your opinion! CM needs the Far East!

Btw, couldn't they do the "Early War" era (Poland, France, 1939-1941) as an expansion pack to, say, CMAK?

Originally posted by Saedor:

Wow, I'm astonished that no one has requested the most obvious and needed CM version.. WWII Asian and Pacific theater. Arab Israeli wars and cold war would be nice, but to skip over the entire Pacific theater would be a major shame. All Leathernecks, Chindits and Imperial Army Soldiers, voice your opinion! CM needs the Far East!

Btw, couldn't they do the "Early War" era (Poland, France, 1939-1941) as an expansion pack to, say, CMAK?

Anymore work on the CM1 engine (CMBO, CMBB, CMAK)will delay the CMX2 engine. And we don't want that do we? In addition, the BFC team has stated that they have little to no interest in the Pacific. I get the feeling that they are a bunch of tank-junkies.(Which suits me. Tanks are cool)

IIRC, the idea is that the CMX2 engine will be easier to plug new TO&Es, equipment models etc. into in order to cover a different period, so once the engine is there, different theatres will be covered in quicker succession

Halberdiers,

simply question about CM-X2: it will have better animations than these?...for infantry too?

Hehe, comparisons between two games that aren't even released are not easy to make, but yes, having better animations than what we've seen from WC is our goal. Since CMX2 will be using our own new engine we're confident that we'll make it.

And call me biased, but the landscape of WC continues to leave me underwhelmed, so I hope we'll improve on that, too. I can't put my finger on it if it's the shading, the strong colors or the lack of dense wood terrain or something, but it all looks very cartoonish. This is my honest opinion.

Anyway, while it's not surprising that we are seeing more and more WC screens pop up here, let's make it clear that CMX2 is being developed based on what we want to achieve with it (and improved visuals are only one factor here), and we in fact don't consider WC any kind of benchmark. Because, well, any way you look at it, it isn't. There are other RTS games out there with at least matching if not better graphics. Panzers from CDV comes to mind. I've seen it in Leipzig last year, and it looked better to me than what I've seen from WC to be honest.

So let's not have the question "what next" deteriorate into comparisons of not-even-yet-released games, because I didn't bring my crystal ball today.

Martin

having better animations ... is our goal
Thanks for the fast answer Martin. I'm happy to ear your words about CM-X2.

About infantry:

march.jpg

I would suggest to the developers that: "INFANTRY SQUAD" could be a picture with around 10 men in "COLUMN" when are "stand up" and "walk" or "run". And in "LINE" when are "stop" and "down".

Regards and Happy new year smile.gif

Pedro

[ December 31, 2003, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Halberdiers ]

Originally posted by Halberdiers:

simply question about CM-X2: it will have better animations than these?...for infantry too?

I flicked through the CMAK screenies at fragland and I reckon they are pretty much as nice as the WC ones you showed (especially the first one: gak! plastic toy!)

What does this mean?

It means that still shots don't tell you much. Since we've played CMAK, we know that those infantry are 3 images modelling a 8-12 man squad. But you can't tell that from the picture.

Similarly, who knows how tacky or awesome WC (whatever that is) will be.

My impression of the tanks in the shots you showed us were that they were far more stylised than realistic compared to a nicely modded CMAK tank... sure they have a few more polygons, but thats about it.

(Not to say that I don't look forward to something awesome in CMx2 graphics wise, I do! But I know we can rely on BFC not to throw out the decent tactical game in the process...)

GaJ.

Hi GaJ , I agree with the nice Tanks of CM.

But I think that the infantry animation is a bit forgotten by the developers of CM-AK. You must agree here. And I'm not only talking about if the Squad have 3 or 15 soldiers in the picture.

Similar to "up" and "down" , the "Column" and "Line" are basic and the minimum that we can expect in the animation for "infantry squad" in the develop of this great Tactical game,CM-X2.

Movement--Up--Column

Stopeed--down--Line

assault_screen004.jpg

Not only to recreate the eyes (that I suppose is already a very good reason for it self ,you know ).Most important, that gives us a clear vision of the tactical situation of the squad in the battle (in the screen of our PC smile.gif ), and visually demonstrates the weaknesses and the force of the good and bad maneuver decisions.

http://www.hardscrabblefarm.com/ww2/Combat_form.htm

A Patch is possible for CM-AK ?

[ December 31, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Halberdiers ]

Originally posted by Moon:

And call me biased, but the landscape of WC continues to leave me underwhelmed, so I hope we'll improve on that, too. I can't put my finger on it if it's the shading, the strong colors or the lack of dense wood terrain or something, but it all looks very cartoonish. This is my honest opinion.

[/QB]

It's trees are certainly part of it. They are all scattered about, one tree by itself, or two or three together. Trees are usually in groups.

The colors might be slightly off, too.

There's something about the CM terrain that I like. It's grainier and rougher looking than newer engines, but at the same time it feels slightly more real to me. I'm glad you're commited to hanging onto that characteristic.

Also glad to hear you're setting your sights high for the new graphics engine. :D I don't care what the purists say, eye candy is half the fun.

That is a lovely tank, isn't it?

When Moon referred to "Panzers", he meant the 3D RTS coming out sometime next year. CDV is the distributor. Too RTS-y and cartoonish(far more so than WC) for me.

I still agree with Moon on the terrain, though. The colors are just a bit too pastel. Also, the ever present mist drives me crazy. Makes everything look too smooth and soft. Maybe the colors just aren't quite vibrant enough. Good terrain needs strong contrasts.

I suspect that we're only going to know how good WC really looks once we see it in motion. I won't be surprised if it's spectacular.