Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Opinions on which side is best

My opinion is the German infantry's edge (at least til mid-war) almost entirely rests on the mg34 light mg embedded in the squads. If it weren't for that they'd just be nine guys with bolt-action rifles against twelve Russians with murderous smgs. That lmg's firepower has saved my bacon more than once.

I love the Panzergrenider Platoons with their 2 LMGs per squad. That really kicks both the short range and long range firepower.

Russkies.

Don't like the lack of inherent platoon level AT, but, by the time Pzfausts & 'schecks turn up, you are the offensive anyway, so who needs it...?

Plus points:

Recon C squads. 63 ammo points. Get into long range fire fights with Germans and make them waste their ammo... 11 men mean that if they close to grenade range, they can still do damage despite lack of smg's

SMG squads.

44 pattern platoons. 44H squads come with 2 LMG's... and lots of men.

50mm mortars with big ammo loadout early in the war

Great x-country performance of T34's

Lend Lease equipment to help fill that Western front craving.

The Russians seem to have tailored equipment/ organisations very specifically for roles, e.g. tank destroyers, breakthrough tanks, recon platoons, assualt platoons.

And the URAAAGH of a human wave is fun...

I find that the stronger side is whichever force is defending in CMBB. Especially in scenarios, where the designers usually give the defender too much materiel, and give the defender too little time to attack.

I'm so tweaked, I think I am going to start a new post to this effect.