Any CMBB Stalingrad maps out there

I've taken a quick look at what mssr. Eichenbaum is doing with Operation Storfang and have been very inspired to do something similar for Stalingrad. I'm thinking along the lines of a fairly open ended campaign where the player allocates forces on a big strategic map and then each day decides the actions for each sector and the campaign engine will generate an appropriate scenario to play out. It will be slow, but if it gels together the way I think it will, it should be very immersive.

It looks like the largest hurdle to get over would be simply to get the maps together. I haven't pounded out the details yet but I'm wondering about the feasibility of putting together a library of maps for the entire city of Stalingrad as well as the approaches to the city.

I know that similar work has been done way back when for Biltong's campaign. Does anyone know of some resources I could use as a starting point?

[ January 16, 2004, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Peterk ]

Thanks For the reply Paco. I found a bunch of others as well so I think I'm on my way.

If any of the old map-makers from the Bitong rules read this...if I remember corectly, people were working on Stalingrad maps for a mission pack but it looks like it never got released. If you still have some of your work lying around and want them to maybe find a good home in a good cause, please get in touch with me.

Maybe you are thinking about this Stalingrad-Pack (SP)?

SP-battles

SP-operations

Stalingrad Pack - Chronology

Into the Void - July '42

When Worlds Collide - July 25 '42

6th Army Probe - August '42

Hell on Earth (op) - Sept 12 '42

The Library - Sept 18 '42

Our Backs to the Volga - Oct '42

My City of Ruins - Nov '42

One Final Stab - Nov 9 '42

A Morning Commute - Nov '42

Antonescu Kaputt - Nov 19 '42

Tovarishch Mysh - Nov 20 '42

What might have been - Nov 20 '42

Glimmer of Valor - Nov 20 '42

Kalach Na Donu - Nov 22 '42

Waltzing Matilda - Nov '42

Assault in the Snow - Dec 4 '42

Eye of the Storm - Dec 13 '42

Balck and the Bridgehead - Dec 15 '42

Hollow Legion - Dec 16 '42

Der Mannstein Kommit (op) - Dec 19/20 '42

Failure on the Askai (op) - Dec 20/21 '42

Tatsinskaya Raid - Dec 27 '42

The Bitter End (op) - Jan 12 '43

Regards, Sven

Thank you eichenbaum my friend,

It was actually when I saw the screenshot at your site when it all clicked for me and I decided to do it. The Java program I don't think will be too difficult but the maps of the city will take forever and some of them will be very boring. Oh well, I have 1.5 out of 28 done already.

I don't know if you are planning on doing this....but I'm going to try making the Java program configurable so that it can be used for more campaigns and not just Stalingrad.

Originally posted by Peterk:

I don't know if you are planning on doing this....but I'm going to try making the Java program configurable so that it can be used for more campaigns and not just Stalingrad.

No, our campaign system will not be 'open'. Unless there are party's who are willing to create the 3d (VRML) enviroments that are build in this system. This would also take much more time in the developemnt. A 'template' is not something easy to create and make it run smooth enough for distribution. Another problem would be the textures that are being used in a dynamic way. For every scenario we have specific MODs. These can vary with each scenario.

If you like you can drop an email to talk about this. (Couldn't find yours in your profile)

Greetings,

Nils

Hi Nils,

I definitely won't be imposing any mods (it's a shame about that...can you believe there's no grain silo tile in CMBB!) and to be honest my interface won't be as nice as yours, but I will be able to support different types of campaigns.

For example, the first one which I will do is simply the first 3 days of the attack on the residential area of Stalingrad (it could take up to 64 CMBB battles on 28 maps to finish!)...but just by changing a few little rules around I can turn it into the later fighting which was much more static and difficult and then even later the encirclement and destruction of 6th army. The system should even work well for 2 human players against one another, but that will come later.

Sounds almost like an operation, but it should be much more manageable for the player because I'm breaking it all up into smaller chunks. And I'll have better control over special-events. If you've seen the Operational Art Of War event engine, I'll be doing something close to that.

The thing that you're doing that I don't even want to touch is letting the player move his pieces in the strategic map in a complex way - I'll be handling that more abstractly. I won't really be making scenarios either...they will be quick battles (but some will be very hard, a player should not usually expect to sweep a map in one battle - he will often be happy just to move forward 10% of the map and take 1 flag!), with the same map possibly being used many, many times.

Having lots of fun, but it will probably take 2-3 months to finish (by myself). Don't know if I have that kind of stamina.

p.

Hi!

I've just stumbled across these:

Lage 14.-26. September 1942

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Karte/Stalingrad1.htm

Lage 27. September - 3. Oktober 1942

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Karte/Stalingrad2.htm

Lage am 12. Dezember 1942

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Karte/Stalingrad3.htm

Lage 10. Januar - 2. Februar 1943

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Karte/Stalingrad4.htm

Regards, Sven