should I buy this game?

I just got some cash and am looking to buy a new game. Ive been thinking of getting CMBB for a while and even more so since it won war game of the year from CGW. Problem is the closest thing Ive played to a wargame is Medieval and Shogun Total War, and there are two other games that I might buy Civilization 3, and Freelancer. But this is something new and looks like it has lots of replay value plus good graphics.

Dont download the demo, it nearly made me not buy it (im a CMBO fan).

If you like WW2, if you like model tanks, if you like table top soldiers (showing my age) if you like thinking games, if you dislike Powerups and hovertanks, if you have a real life that you want to become detached from, then

gameforyou.gif

[ February 25, 2003, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Pud ]

Should you buy this game?

Short Answer: Yes.

Oh, you wanted more?! ;)

I think its a great fun game and a good way to get a window into history. If you think you might like turn based strategy games and are aware that this is a game that will take you literally years to master (I got it months ago and am still a total noob) then I'd say its very likely the best spent money on game. You want fast furious and mindlessly satisfying? Put together a pure armor slugfest Panthers and T-34s. You want a well considered thoughtful battle of wits and wills? Find an opponent for PBEM. You want to learn historically accurate doctrine and tacticts? Download a scenario from the web. Feel creative? Make your own scenario.

And that's from someone who likes power ups and hover tanks!

I would second the motion for you to attempt the download of the Demo before purchasing the game. There are no refunds. And if it doesn't work on your current computer... there are no refunds. And if you end up not liking the game because it's not the sort of game play you care for... there are no refunds...

Download the demo with a download manager such as Getright (approx. 2Mb itself). Even if you hate it, it is definitely useful for people downloading with slow modems. Getright will allow you to disconnect (intentionally or unintentionally) and reconnect later to continue downloading from where you left off without having to start over, etc. It may take you awhile to download the entire demo, but this is the only valid manner to answer your question.

Everything is a matter of personal opinion and taste. Almost everyone here may recommend the game to you, but you may find that it just isn't what you're looking for...

(Of course there are a number of features that are in the full version that aren't present in the Demo such as scenario editing tools and operations).

[ February 26, 2003, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

matt8260 --

Well, what sort of games do you like to play?

I'll try to rattle off some positive and negative points about CM:BB... in no particular order.

-- Positives include:

The developers have a habit of listening to the users, and aren't under the thumb of some huge publisher.

It's a 3D tactical game in which terrain, elevation, ground conditions and weather ALL matter. It also goes pretty far with a multilevel fog-of-war model; even once you notice that a unit's there, you might misidentify it -- if you even see enough to guess.

There's pretty extreme attention to historical detail when it comes to modeling the units. History is seldom sacrificed for gameplay (other than, say, the ommission of incredibly lop-sided and therefore not-fun battles).

It's an unusual mix of turn-based (so there's no time pressure when giving your orders, unless it's a TCP game with a time limit or your opponent's getting angry) and real-time (since turns are evaluated in continuous time, there's no need for hackish "interrupts" or abusive tricks with "opportunity fire").

A scenario editor's included, and numerous scenarios have been created by fans. There's also a quick-battle generator.

While you CANNOT add, remove or change unit statistics or 3-D models, you can retexture them. Likewise, sounds can be replaced. Mods vary from the fairly sane (grimier versions of tanks, for instance) to the truly bizarre (an Xmas-and-Coca-Cola-themed mod for CMBO, for instance).

Realistic tactics will get you far; fast clicking won't. Nor, for that matter, is it a "puzzle" game. You need to worry about suppression, ammunition, the physical and mental health of your men...

It can be VERY satisfying exacting revenge on an irritating enemy. It's delicious getting ready to nail an immobilized, helpless assault gun, really.

The people here tend to be clueful, if perhaps a bit strange at times...

-- Some negatives include:

It can require a substantial committment in time. Realistic tactics need realistic amounts of care; this is not a particularly fast game. The larger your forces and the map, the more time you'll probably need to spend per turn to be remotely competitive. If you're tired or simply not in the mood for the effort, this can hurt badly.

CMBB is solely Eastern Front; CMBO is solely Western Front, and has fewer refinements and certain weaknesses that were fixed in CMBO. If you're not at all interested in the Ostfront, that might be a minus.

Originally posted by matt8260:

I play pretty much everything exept hexagonal war games, sports games, hardcore old-school type RPGS, and some turn based strategy games. I think I'll like CMBB because I like historical type games that focus on combat. And I really liked Close Combat: The Russian Front.

Well then,welcome to your new addiction.Im sure we'll be seeing you around. smile.gif

Edited to add:

Ps,

You know your hooked when you actually start dreaming about the game.Atleast thats when i knew.

[ February 26, 2003, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: nevermind ]

I want to add only one very important positive point for this game: this forum .

For me it is about 43.7% of fun related to this game. smile.gif You can learn a lot from these people, they are very supportive for perpetual newbs, like me. Even "Peng" band is kind of cute :D

Seriously, this is the best game community I've ever seen.

Straif

File size that is transmitted for PBEM is dependent on map size and force size. Keep the map small and force say 1500 or less and you will be ok, any bigger than those you can always zip it up. That way you can play as big as you want. My current game 2000pt on large map = 500k email

i played all the CC games to death & i wanted something that had a bit more depth, so i bought CMBB.

i started playing it & at the beginning it is a bit of a learning curve. i didn't jump on it or take it back because even though it was a bit of an effort to start a scenario, i knew there was something there. i suggest you do the same. the game is a grower rather than a grabber, at least it was to me. now i play this & DoD almost exlusively (while dreaming of a time when they are combined).

so if you do get the demo, don't be too quick to judge it. it may take 10 mins when you start to set out your units & check line of sight but as soon as you get contact with the enemy, you're there. hooked.

so, welcome to the forum. once you get past the jargon & the in-jokes you'll find they're not a bad lot.

infuriating. bad tempered. pedantic to a fault. but not bad.

Originally posted by nevermind:

Edited to add:

Ps,

You know your hooked when you actually start dreaming about the game.Atleast thats when i knew.

Damn it!!! Why didn't someone warn me about the dangers before I got involved....

It took me 1.5 hours to get to SLEEP last night after the latest turn in my current PBEM game.

A new feature for CM2 = Health Warnings !!!

Regards,

Jeremy

Don't be put off by the griping and nit-picking on the board. That's just grog talk. for example, there's one long threat arguing whether the AT-4 is a recoilless rifle or not... and the AT-4 isn't even in the game!

Like someone said earlier, if you have even a passing interest in warfare, and in WWII in particular this game is as close to virtual reality as you can get (for $45).