PBEM´s are a drug ...

... I´ve just checked, for the last four month I never had less than five games running simultaneous.

I´ve played : two germans, seven americans ( US ), two canadians, one este, one french, three english, one brasilian, four finns and two spain.

Against some of the guys I´m playing since nov. 2001, sending everyday one turn.

This game is truly addictive.

ONE A DA?Y!?!?

Slacker.

JK, I love PBEM games. Lets you play against people who would normally be sleeping when you are gaming.

What I find really annoying is when the action just starts, or a game is about finished, and your opponent gets busy IRL. Then I am checking my email 3 times during the day and constantly when I get home. I have tried TCP/IP a couple of times but it isn't as much fun knowing that everytime you get up to stretch your legs, get a cup of tea or use the bathroom that you have someone cursing your lack of attention to the game.

PBEM games are fun if your opponent returns the file at the same speed that you send 'em; it's no fun waiting days for an answer.

Otherwise I still prefer slow TCP/IP games: the best trade-off between thinking and patience. :D

The only problem is that a game can take some five hours... Ah well, it's time well spent. smile.gif

"Marijuana?! MARIJUANA?!?! That's not an addiction! Have you ever sucked %! for a CM turn? That's an addiction!"

Sorry if that's not too appropriate, but I couldn't help but think of Half-Baked when I read the title...

Yet I wholeheartedly agree with the poster's sentiments. smile.gif

Yep, bought it in late december, and have constantly had a PBEM going on every day since then. I find that I play not much single player anymore, because it really takes some time to set up, but two or three turns a workday, 5 a weekend day are just fine.

Most games get old after two months constant gaming - I'm just about starting to understand this one.

Only downside: Playing against humans is so much fun that the AI really doesn't look interesting compared to it.

For me, the PBEM concept was brand-new and unknown when I came here. I find it indeed to be the best of both worlds, multiplayer and single player.

I loved Il-2 in multi, but the time it takes to get 16 people ready and online for a coop, plus the dropouts etc...made it an exercise in futility more often than not.

PBEM is so effortless - no need to sit around and wait for opponents to come on ICQ or somefink. Hell, I even sneak a turn or two in during work or lunch breaks when I need to relax. All you need is a working email adress...really a clever system.

But then, I guess to some of you old wargamer farts here this wasn't exactly as revealing as it was to me ;)

Originally posted by BadgerDog

It's all Vadr's fault

Really? I couldn't enitce that steamy coil to pick up the challenge. Instead I got stuck with 2 low level pengers who couldn't find their arses with trained guides and are even less capable of consistently sending turns. Oh what I do for a PBEM.

Hey Javaslinger , send me a setup (mike_the_wino@yahoo.com). The email addie in my profile is filling up quick. I prefer Germans, but not stuck to that either, I'll let you pick the rest.

[ March 05, 2003, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: mike the wino ]

I too am addicted to PBEMs and am, at present, suffering withdrawal. My brother, with whom I've played everything for years, has found a girlfriend (N.B. Michael Dorosh. Be careful what you wish for.) and my other so called opponent got a tablet PC with wireless so never goes downstairs to his game machine. These so called opponents are to be henceforth known as "Dumbass" and "Fatass". I haven't had a PBEM from Dumb/Fat ass in over two weeks. I read recently that an American lawyer was keen on invoking a "Torture Warrant" to allow the Americans to break the Geneva Convention with regard to Al Q'eda principals. My vote is to further the warrant to include those who do not take their turns in a PBEM.

Originally posted by Javaslinger:

Anyone in here looking to add another addict to their list?

Send a set-up punk! :cool:

You choose the conditions and armies. I'll do a double blind scenario, fully computer generated QB, QB on an import map, QB with we choose the troops, whatever. . . ;)

[ March 05, 2003, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: Vader's Jester ]

Originally posted by mike the wino:

ONE A DA?Y!?!?

Slacker.

I also play with one of my oldest friends four to five turns a day. Most of the others are on a one, two turns a day basis.

So slacker really isnt approbiate.

Its more like ...

06:00 get out of bed

06:30 make turns that come over night

07:00 work

12:00 make turns that my old friend send

12:30 work

16:00 till oh, well ... too late says the wifey

phoning some off the unlucky ones, which live close enough to me, harrass them to send the f%$!ing turn back.

And, Mr. Mike the Wino, I demand a game with you, showing who is the slacker ... :D

Originally posted by Scheer:

This game is truly addictive.

I'm playing only with 2 opponents in PBEM at evening. But these guys work in the same place than me. Then everyone have a PBEM with the two others... Lunches are great ! :D

I've made them discover the game some months ago. I feel now like a mad doctor who has inoculated them a very strong virus ! They are completely infected. ;)

Regards.

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit I am a junkie also, I have 12 PBEMs going and I am having a blast!! Love this experience!!

Oh and I am like some of you, the AI of single player just doesn't cut it for me now.

Oh, Scheer, I love the PBEM we are playing now, but you didn't have to kill my King Tiger!!! :mad:

BigMik1

Originally posted by Scheer

And, Mr. Mike the Wino, I demand a game with you, showing who is the slacker ...

I'll show you who the slacker is...ME!!! :D

I posted once and then never checked back. You think you can out-slack me? Not a chance there, sunny-Jim. Honestly, after I posted here I got a deluge of PBEMs. Six running games and I think that is my limit. Keep this thing popping up and I will take up your offer when I clear some of the deadwood away. :D

Originally posted by A.E.B:

Scheer

You left out your AUSTRALIAN opponent! :(

Now I really want my SU85 to wack your Pz IV on that road! smile.gif

Sorry I can't send more than one or two turns but its the middle of the night in Oz when its day in Europe.

Regards

A.E.B

Andrew, when you look at the date of my first posting, that was BEFORE our pbem. Surely I wouldnt miss to post about an AUSTRALIAN opponent.

And I dont think that a burning,mangled, smoking SU85 will do anything for you ... :D

Did I mention, that my crack PzIVH punches four holes in succesion in your excuse for a tank ?

Now on to kill that other SU85 ...

Originally posted by BigMik1:

I must admit I am a junkie also, I have 12 PBEMs going and I am having a blast!! Love this experience!!

Oh and I am like some of you, the AI of single player just doesn't cut it for me now.

Oh, Scheer, I love the PBEM we are playing now, but you didn't have to kill my King Tiger!!! :mad:

BigMik1

You´re whining about loosing one single tank ?

What about my smoldering wrecks of Valentine IX´s , you´ve littered the battlefield with ?

I shouldnt read so much about the value of Valentine IX´s, from those Ubergrogs like Jason_C, Fionn and so on.

Obviously they are better players then poor,old Scheer. All my Valentines do, is exploding when a german sneezes in the near vicinity.

BUT ... I try to add a Panther with a flank shot to that Kingtiger ...

Come kitty , kitty ..

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

Originally posted by Scheer

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> And, Mr. Mike the Wino, I demand a game with you, showing who is the slacker ...

I'll show you who the slacker is...ME!!! :D

I posted once and then never checked back. You think you can out-slack me? Not a chance there, sunny-Jim. Honestly, after I posted here I got a deluge of PBEMs. Six running games and I think that is my limit. Keep this thing popping up and I will take up your offer when I clear some of the deadwood away. :D </font>

Originally posted by BigMik1:

Yeah Scheer, I will take out a few more of your Vals, I see one is bogged.....it's dead!!

BigMik1

Vals are dead meat in my hand anyways ...

At least it was a good distraction for my infantry assault. 8)

And that Panther kill was sweet ...