OT(?): The return of the Tiger

I stumbled across this article:

http://www.panzer-modell.de/specials/munster-w2002/munster.htm in german, but the photos speak for themselves. The Panzermuseum Munster recieved a Tiger from Saumur (dont know if on loan or permanently) and puts it on display. For that, a folding road and a Büffel engineering tank had to be used. On the second page, the Sturmtiger, sofar on display in Sinsheim, arrives in Munster.

I think I have to go there one day

[ March 05, 2003, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: AntEater ]

We have already planned to visit the Tiger in Munster. 'We' are a bunch of German CM fan(atics) who have already visited the Museums in Sinsheim and Koblenz together and try to meet every now and then. Last meeting was a few weeks ago in Frankfurt.

At the last meeting we decided to take the trip to Munster, can't let the chance to see a Tiger slip by...

So far no date has been set, we'll post more info (on the german opponent finder board) once we found a suitable date.

There are quite some conditions that have to be met before we can fix a date. Warphead's mum has to agree, Lindan has to find a train connection that will take him less then 48 hours to get back home (where ever that is...), Nollof's wardens have to agree to set him free for a certain amount of time and Mike8g has to find a way to escape from the Navy...

[ March 06, 2003, 01:12 AM: Message edited by: ParaBellum ]

Yup, the Sturmtiger is a monster of a tank! :D

But one of the things that really surprised me was the height of the Sherman, especially compared to the StuG or the Hetzer. It's quite different when you stand in front of them instead of reading about them in books.

When we visited Koblenz they actually had the Panther moving again! Only a few meters, but still...the sound! :eek:

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

But one of the things that really surprised me was the height of the Sherman, especially compared to the StuG or the Hetzer. It's quite different when you stand in front of them instead of reading about them in books.

Yeah, one of my favorite parts about my visit to Bastogne was the 26th VGD Hetzer at the Mardasson.

[ March 06, 2003, 08:32 AM: Message edited by: sGTGoody ]

Originally posted by redwolf:

IIRC that Tiger actually belonged to the Muenster museum and was given out for loan until now.

Nope, Munster doesn't own a Tiger I tank. I think the last one was the one from Bovington (the David Byrden tank ;) ), and this one is on loan from the french tank museum in Saumur.

But no matter where it's from, Munster is definitely worth visiting. Especially the Rommel/Guderian/von Kluge shrine :D .

[ March 06, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: pakfan ]

There is no Tiger I owned by Germany right now. Most vehicles displayed in Munster are on loan from the WTS Koblenz.

I think this one is on loan from Saumur. Mike8g wanted to post a link about that some time back.

@sGTGoody: That Hetzer in Bastogne is just (partially) converted to look like a German Hetzer. It actually is a Swiss Panzerjäger G13 and never saw WWII action.

@Parabellum: I noted that comment about my mum. And my mum is stronger than yours. Remind me to kill you in a slow and painful way next time we meet. And send back your next turn!