Is this more fun?

Yes yes yes! Of course you should give the East Front a try if you are a self-respecting wargamer. Consider that it is quite a different experience: there are some essential differences in game rules (esp. regarding infantry which is toned down to more realistic levels), graphics but especially the theater. It is a great game with a great scale - from 1941 to 1945, 6-7 hugely different armies, tons of scenarios available...

Of course, you might want to play CMBO for a bit longer so that you'd get all the satisfaction out of it first.

A word of warning about the CMBB demo. The scenarios were designed more to show old CMBO hands the differences in the two games, and some think the demo is considerably less "entertaining" than the CMBO and CMAK demos.

BUT DON'T JUDGE THE GAME BY THE DEMO!

In CMBB you play with Czech light tanks, ISU-122 assault guns, and at least three types of Brümbar! CMBB is a VERY fun game.

--

And about that "no" answer above.

As a 'game' CMBO is probably the most fun - and simple - of the bunch, but it lags pretty far behind in the 'simulation' department. With some of the CMBB engine tweaks done to make a better combat sim, things you could safely do in CMBO will only get you killed in CMBB. Like gang-rushing a mg nest or assaulting across a big open field. And don't even try artillery spotting out of LOS! The later games (CMBB and CMAK) might be a tad less 'fun' in a game way, but success in much more satisfying in a simulation way.

[ February 28, 2005, 08:38 AM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

Hmmmm...Ok I've been trying CMBB - the first scenario I tried was "Assault on Kamienka" as the Germans. It was, indeed, no fun. Well, I didn't know what I was doing. I had to draw fire in order to even find the Russians, and they let me have it. Can somebody refer me to some good basic strategy posts?

The graphics look great up really close but from a more meaningful view (the one you have to use to give orders) the buildings and vehicles look blotchy.

Two other things bother me: You can't press "esc" to go to windows like CMBO and you can't make multiple saves of the same game? It won't let me save the game with a name I choose so i just have to save over what was already saved. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

Does your hardware allow you to switch on anti-aliasing? It's definately worth it, whether you play CMBO or CMBB.

The default for switching back to windows is alt+tab, but you can change that (see the hot keys).

You can save under any name you choose, just like in CMBO. So I don't know what the second problem is.

Do a search for the demo scenario name to find out players thoughts and feedback - by the way it's tactics not strategy smile.gif Ah the joy of cover arcs and holding fire;)

Originally posted by Der Kunstler:

Hmmmm...Ok I've been trying CMBB - the first scenario I tried was "Assault on Kamienka" as the Germans. It was, indeed, no fun. Well, I didn't know what I was doing. I had to draw fire in order to even find the Russians, and they let me have it. Can somebody refer me to some good basic strategy posts?

The graphics look great up really close but from a more meaningful view (the one you have to use to give orders) the buildings and vehicles look blotchy.

Two other things bother me: You can't press "esc" to go to windows like CMBO and you can't make multiple saves of the same game? It won't let me save the game with a name I choose so i just have to save over what was already saved. Unless I'm doing it wrong.

A lot of people disike the big command hit the Russians take early war (due to Stalin's pre-war purges). But anything from '43 on (equivalent to CMAK Italian front time-range) Russian commmand, training and equipment get MUCH more playable. Its great fun by early '45 playing a crack Soviet Guards unit smashing its way into Germany.

So rest assured, not all CMBB infantry battles are as frustrating as that early war demo scenario.

Is it more fun?

I don't know if "fun" is the right word.

I like CMBB better because it has more options and seems more realistic, but, I still like playing CMBO. They are both fun.

More opponents available with CMBB.

[ February 28, 2005, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: chiavarm ]