CMBB vs. CMAK

I'm considering buying either CMBB or CMAK (I probably can't buy both) but first I have a couple questions to ask you guys.

1) Once CMAK comes out will you be playing that alot more than CMBB (i.e. will you shelve CMBB)

2) Do you think CMAK will make CMBB obsolete or is CMAK more of an add-on?

3) Will the CMBB online gaming community suffer due to the release of CMAK? (i.e. will all the CMBB players move to playing CMAK)

Normally I'd just wait till CMAK comes out and buy that but since I'm more interested in the eastern front than Africa/Sicily/Italy I'm not sure...

What should I do?

[ October 29, 2003, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Scythe ]

Originally posted by Scythe:

I'm considering buying either CMBB or CMAK (I probably can't buy both) but first I have a couple questions to ask you guys.

1) Once CMAK comes out will you be playing that alot more than CMBB (i.e. will you shelve CMBB)

2) Do you think CMAK will make CMBB obsolete or is CMAK more of an add-on?

3) Will the CMBB online gaming community suffer due to the release of CMAK? (i.e. will all the CMBB players move to playing CMAK)

Normally I'd just wait till CMAK comes out and buy that but since I'm more interested in the eastern front than Africa/Sicily/Italy I'm not sure...

What should I do?

If yoo look only at the engine, I guess CMAK is ahead of CMBB. If the difference from CMBB to CMAK is just like CMBO to CMBB, CMAK will definitely be an improvement and not jut an add-on.

I am interested in the epic struggle in the east, so CMBB will probably not vanish from my desk (except if it is a very big leap forward). I will decide to buy CMAK after I heard about the improvements.

If you are interested in the Med theater, then CMAK is your weapon of choice. Depending on the size of the improvements, there will be more or less, but still many CMBBers left - just look at the CMBO forum, there are still people playing it. But many will switch to CMAK - especially the Yanks.

Gruß

Joachim

The difference between CMBB and CMAK is much less than the difference between CMBO and CMBB, AIUI.

CMBB changed MG effect, armour penetrations, artillery to name but three, all of which are fundamental to game play.

CMAK adds dust, the ability to field multi-turreted vehicles (the M3) and some more map options, which are a much more limited change.

Originally posted by Scythe:

...I'm more interested in the eastern front than Africa/Sicily/Italy...

Then BB should be your choice. You can pick up AK or BO later if you like. I know from years of personal experience that much of the fun of wargaming comes from having already a lively interest in the subject at hand. And as flamingknives has already said, the technical improvements between BB and AK are apt to be minimal and not worth giving up a game that you will be really interested in.

There will be many people who will continue playing BB at least part of the time, just as many still play BO, or even prefer it, despite the significant improvements that were made in BB. I myself am a Desert War fan and so will be snapping up AK as soon as it emerges, but that's just me.

smile.gif

Michael

CMBB is still the best game out there. Don't feel ashamed for wanting it like you do.

CMBB's plus side is its got all that cool Russian equipment to play with, plus factories and Sturmtigers, etc. And for mod fanatics, the game's already got a year's worth of mods out there somewhere.

Looks like CMAK will be better able to make decent looking mountains (or at least really big hills ;) ), It's got the whole clouds-of-dust thing going on, and the Allied soldiers speak English!

Plus, every time CM puts out a game you can tell they've learned a few lessons from the previous game.

I'd say buy CMBB and start saving your pennies because you'll definitely want CMAK.

I would *seriously* consider waiting a bit longer to save up for the bundle. I don't know what the pricing will be, but you'll save by getting both in the bundle. Not only will you get a good deal on the second game, you'll save in shipping as well.

But that's just if you plan on getting both in the long run.

Tough choice though. (a) Get one now, the other much later, or (B) wait a bit to get both at once, for much less money.

Phemur

Interesting , now thinking about it,yes I do play CMBB more,the refinements are impressive,I find it more challenging than CMBO.Graphics are not to big of a thing to me (although cool)so that doesn't really sway me,it's all about the gameplay.These are well thought out games ,depicting accurracy and realism like no other tactical game I've played.

CMAK should be pretty awesome I would think,I'm looking forward to it .

As far as picking one ,I would be swayed to the russian front ,but only because of my old days of playing ASL.Either way I doubt you would be dissapionted.

Originally posted by Michael Emrys:

I know from years of personal experience that much of the fun of wargaming comes from having already a lively interest in the subject at hand.

Interesting. My experience with CM on the whole was a bit eye opening. My background is in miniature wargaming, and specifically the horse & musket eras. I had only a passing interest in WW2, and that mostly East Front. I had no interest in West Front 44-45 and found CMBO to be a pleasent surprise. It really fueled my interest in that period. Now I have always had a lively interest in two nations... Prussia and Russia (I have sizable Russian armies in miniature for both the Napoleonic Wars and Seven Years War as well as Prussian armies). Also, most of my pre-CM reading about WW2 was geared toward the East Front. So, I really looked forward to CMBB. I found that I absolutely hate the East Front (at a tactical level), and find the Russian army to be completely boring. Now along comes CMAK... if there is anything I found, pre-CM, more boring than West Front 44-45 it was North Africa. Italy... another part of the war that I couldn't care less about. I have the advantage of not having to speculate about my feelings about CMAK... I have had a number of pleasant surprises (sorry, no details as Madmatt would slice me yarbles off). Now, if they would just do the Pacific so I can play real US troops, I'd be happy

...mean while back to topic...

I'd wait for CMAK, then as suggested earlier, get a bundle pack of CMBO & CMBB if it or when it becomes available. I'm a latecomer to the CM series, getting CMBB then back tracking to CMBO. Each Theatre of Ops sim [bO and BB] has improved from the previous, I love them both being a whore and flirt between them, enjoying both despite their own idiosyncrasies.

As a kid [100 years ago] I had all the Airfix and Hasagawa HO/OO kits, progressing to the boardgames [sPI], and years later with PC's we now have the CM series. I presume CMAK will be the best of the trilogy... and there is no harm in collecting all three. :D