A small AAR

Since the CMBB forums have been fairly quiet for a while and there hasn't been an AAR in ages, I've decided to make one on a small scenario I recently downloaded and played.

There isn't any real particular point to this AAR, though I do hope it will maybe show some useful tactics, procedures etc for less experienced players.

And now to the battle, which is called AL-Village.

Spoiler

alvillagesetupke8.th.png

A picture of the battlefield

The briefing tells me that the Soviets have established a small strongpoint within the village. Probable enemy positions are marked with asteriks. Judging by the size of the scenario, I guess that I am probably facing an understrength company with a few support weapons. They are likely of low quality as well.

To take the village, I'm am given two Kampfgruppes, which both have their own small setup zones.

Kampfgruppe Winter deploys on the bottom right of the map and consists of:

1 1941 Infantry Recon Platoon

1 MG-34 HMG

1 MG-34 LMG

1 Pz. 38(t)E

1 SPW 251/1

1 75mm Infantry Gun

Kampfgruppe Keller deploys on the bottom left of the map and consists of:

1 1941 Infantry Recon Platoon

1 MG-34 HMG

1 MG-34 LMG

1 8cm mortar

1 PSW 231 8

My biggest concern for the attack is the time limit, which is only 18 turns. My forces will have to attack aggressively to capture the position in time.

alvillageplanjt5.th.png

The Plan

The plan for the attack is relatively simple. I expect the enemy to have units in the marked locations. The bridge itself is probably heavily defended. The small heavy building on my side of the river probably is an OP position with an LMG or Tankhunter inside. On the left flank, I expect the farthest left asterik to be the location of an MG or gun, probably in a trench or maybe in the tree patch.

The righthand attack route does not offer much opportunity for concealment, so I expect the enemy to see it first, and meet it with his reserves. I hope to conceal the lefthand thrust long enough so I can quickly break into the village defenses on that wing and attack the rear of the forces defending the bridge.

On my left flank, the HMG-42 and 8cm mortar will form a heavy weapons group and cover my left flank. Infantry will move though the woods and then the scattered trees and hopefully achieve surprise and achieve a quick breakthrough.

My PSW 231 8 will not move into LOS of enemy positions until I know what the far left enemy unit is, since it may be a gun.

On my right, my Pz-38 will lead the road advance, carrying the LMG-42 scout. Behind is the SPW 251/1 with the infantry gun and HMG-42, which will setup as a heavy weapons group in the woods near the bridge, once the enemy OP is eliminated.

Winter's Recon platoon will advance through the wheat and to the scattered trees, but stay on the reverse slope until the OP is identified. Once this happens, they will assault and then prepare for crossing the bridge.

First few turns:

Nothing happens as my units move along the planned route.

alvillageturn2tr6.th.png

Lt. Winters' platoon travels through the wheat while the Pz.38 and SPW 251/1 await for the infantry to get into position to attack the outpost.

More to come in later posts (including combat lol).