Does the AI cheat on QBs?

Well, not really, but the fact that the AI always buys bucketfuls of flamethrower tanks every time the QB is set at night or the map is going to have otherwise limited visibility is starting to bug me. If you have the settings at random, you get no input on what the weather or daytime is going to be when buying units, but the AI always knows it, and doesn't waste its points in air support, for example.

Not a biggie, but when you've bought a Hungarian infantry company with a few ATR's and 37mm PaKs and face a virtual swarm of OT tanks at night, you can probably understand the frustration.

Originally posted by mike_the_wino:

Ah, random...isn't it grand?

Random? Hardly if Engel's complaints happens predictably. Predictability is not what I would call random.

The word "random" in these QB situations seems more like a misnomer. Maybe "quasi-random" or "nearly-random" should be used instead.

Not another thread that states "'X' cheats and here is the proof"?

Please read sig, more specifically the exchange between Zulu and kunstler .

I personnally stopped using random settings shortly after getting the game. Occasionally I will try a QB with random settings, but not often, and I am usually disappointed with the results.

If you really want a specific force...then choose it. Same goes for the other parameters.

Originally posted by Engel:

If you have the settings at random, you get no input on what the weather or daytime is going to be when buying units, but the AI always knows it, and doesn't waste its points in air support, for example.

if the weather is not clear/mid-day, you will not be allowed to "waste" points on air support. even with "random" settings.

Note that I don't actually accuse the AI of cheating (although it knows the time of day when the player doesn't), I was just venting my frustration of having it always buy loads of flamethrower tanks at night, and that's basically 100% accurate statement; I've never seen a night mission where the AI, if playing Soviets, didn't buy flamethrower tanks if it was allowed to.

In these cases, if you see a tank that's identified as a T-26, it's always an OT. Always, 100% certain, it's an OT of some sort or another. But otherwise never. You never get to see them in daytime missions, where your PaK's or tanks could eat them for breakfast and ask for seconds. Always an OT that's just outside the range of any AT weapon carried by my infantry, taunting me and enjoying the barbeque party.

The air support was a very bad example, though, but since when rants have been accurate? Wasn't a good rant either, but I'm practising on it.

[ April 04, 2003, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Engel ]