Best AT Gun(s)

I think one reason the Russian 85mm ATG isn't mentioned much here is because rarity costs limit their use. I suspect that it and the 57mm would be extremely popular if the rarity cost were zero.

Any know how common they were in actual combat?

[ February 28, 2003, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

While it is a huge bonus for a German player to get any 88mm gun, the PaK40 is hands down, the best-all-around gun in CMBB. If there was a rarity system in CMBO it would take that completely too.

The PaK40 is cheap and even more so in late war settings. Good ROF and traversing speed of all the more "manly" calibre ATGs and accurate. I can take on all but the toughest tanks frontally with a PaK40 and they're even more deadly in groups.

The 88mm PaK43 series is oustanding with the added bonus of a good blast rating but they're slow and cost almost twice as much as a PaK40.

The 128mm PaK44 is a monster and the few times I have invested in them for a battle, they have inflicted serious damage to opposing armor. Yes, they have a slower ROF but they will rip open armor and can be deadly to infantry. Their traversing speed is horrendous but the key is to place it far back overwatching a much more narrow field of fire. Employ the PaK44 wisely and even the mighty IS tanks will be squashed like ants underneath your boot.

The 50mm PaK38 is a lifesaver in early war settings but loses appeal as time progresses. Still, in late war settings, a PaK38 will murder light armor. It possesses a good ROF and is very accurate. Even in CMBO they're an effective counter to Stuart rushes.