Best AT Gun(s)

I really like AT guns, and as I always seem to end up playing Axis in QBs, I end up using them quite a lot ('cause you don't get many points for armour).

I like the Pak40, that baby can kill just about anything at even longer ranges.

BUT

My guns can't bloody well hit a barn door for trying. In a recent battle I had a veteran Pak40 duel with a T34 at a range of 840m. It fired 8 rounds before the first hit! What gives? (PS. it got simultaneously knocked out by the T34). This gun it supposed to have long optics for pity's sake.

Jeremy

The short 75mm infantry guns do have a certain appeal--cheap, effective against infantry, and packing a few 'c' rounds that can kill a tank in the right circumstances.

But for a lean, mean ATG, it's hard to beat the PAK40.

In CMBO, the Allies have the Brit 17 pounder, and the 6 pounder, plus the US the 76mm and 90mm--all guns to be reckoned with. The Russians don't seem to have quite the equivalents, in part because of rarity costs on the 57mm and 85mm. The 76.2mm Zis is OK, but somewhat limited by late in the war.

BTW, is the 57mm the same gun as the US version? And/or the British six-pounder? Is it a lend lease item? I was never quite certain if the Brit and US versions were in fact exactly the same gun. It seems they could use the same ammo, because I've heard stories of American crewmen cadging tungsten rounds from the Brits and thereby turning their guns into Panther-killers.

Originally posted by CombinedArms:

The short 75mm infantry guns do have a certain appeal--cheap, effective against infantry, and packing a few 'c' rounds that can kill a tank in the right circumstances.

Canister rounds? :confused:

I know that the late war German 75mm inf gun usually comes with a bundle of HC rounds, those babies are handy when taking out light tanks, or hitting the flanks of heavier ones.

Originally posted by Bone_Vulture:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Canister rounds? :confused:

I know that the late war German 75mm inf gun usually comes with a bundle of HC rounds, those babies are handy when taking out light tanks, or hitting the flanks of heavier ones. </font>

Originally posted by Kanonier Reichmann:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tabpub:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CombinedArms:

Thanks

Jim R. </font>

NOW who has to edit their post??? I have done mine...

[ February 28, 2003, 02:00 AM: Message edited by: tabpub ]

Originally posted by Hans:

What about the Soviet 85 and 100mm ATGs, I've seen them in some sources but they are rarely mentioned here on this site.

Opinions?

The Soviet 85mm is an AA gun, just like the Flak 88. Wasn't Russia the only other nation besides Germany that routinaly used AA guns in the AT role?

As for the 100mm, it's the same gun off the SU-100. It packs a good punch, although I prefer to have to moble in the SU-100 form.

icm35141.jpg

Sure does look cool though...

I think that ATGs fall into categories. One is the more-or-less stationary kill-you-from-a-mile-away ATGs - 88's, Pak 40s, certain Russian 76.2s and of course the powerful 57 ZIS.

But I have become very partial to the other category - man-moved smaller ATGs and IGs- Pak 38s and 150mm IGs (to a lesser extent - 75 IGs), and Sov long 45s. Sure they die easy, but they're cheap.

Moving 'em with ATs and trucks is usually a recipe for disaster - one tends to get greedy with covering ground. Instead, take the long view and run them (I admit - slooowwwlly) around the map looking for long views from wooded or scattered tree areaas. Then let 'em sit until some sucker comes into view - or as the situation develops, move them toward the action.

Originally posted by Nippy:

The Soviet 85mm is an AA gun, just like the Flak 88. Wasn't Russia the only other nation besides Germany that routinaly used AA guns in the AT role?

[/QB]

There was an 85mm field gun used by the Sov's from 1943 or 44 onwards IIRC, as well as the AA guns.

The Brits tried to use the 3.7" as an AA gun in hte desert once - but had no idea what to do with it - IIRC they put a battery in an over-crowded waddi and it never fired a shot.

The US 90mm was used for some AT/field work, and the 3"/76mm was an AA gun barrel on a new mount.

The Sov 100mm was also developed from the naval 3.9" calibre I think, which was a dual purpose AA/A-surface weapon.