Why is this forum so happy?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

Now , you see Sightreader?

This forum isn't always that happy.

Yes, but now that we have Happy chashm, all is fine and dandy.

Seanachai, we have noted that you are trying to usurp our rightful place.

You are on our list.

May our prophets proclaim it throughout the realm!

Right then, clearly the Apocalypso is developing a bit of verve. Posters to this board will be able to derive the same sort of satisfaction from their 'I was there when the four horsemen rode' experience as the orchestra on the Titanic did from playing until they took a dip.

The signs are multiplying, and in the same way as the owl was a powerful portent of what was to come to Herod on his acclamation as a God, so the appearance of Reincarbonated taken with Seanachai's attempt to put himself above us will in future times be seen as a defining moment. Or sumfink.

[ October 24, 2003, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Andreas ]

Kneel before me, Aces and 8's, and kiss my ring, and proclaim me greater than the Four Horsemen.

Originally posted by Seanachai:

Kneel before me

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither kneel nor about face and bend at the waist! That's Uncle Seanachai, if ya know what I mean

Hmmm, an interesting proposition...The last time someone asked me to kiss a ring...well, its just too painful to recall, but for your reading enjoyment, lemme see if I can remember...*taps forefinger against chin while staring thoughtfully into the distant sky* 15 years ago, honeymoon bed, beatific smile and a cigarette, eyes closed, a request in a low throaty voice..."kiss this", gladly, bigger smile, metallic tang, uh oh...somethings wrong, *snicker snack*, "aaaaaiiiiiyyyyyeeeee!!!!" pain and tears, open eyes, additional round brass protrudence from my proboscis, this wasn't in the vows (at least not the version I had)...I have yet to figure out how to remove it. *sniff* The horror...the horror.

Now back to your original request, if I kneel and kiss this ring, what exactly will be the requirements after? It seems like we are moving pretty fast. You didn't send flowers, sing a love song, or even offer dinner; not to mention you have only answered the first of my posts. Swearing fealty is a BIG step. Hey, is there anywhere to sit the fence while this War in Heavan rages?

I'm back... work has been hectic. Anyway, here are the theories to date, with comments attached:

1. The turn based nature of a PBEM Combat Mission game (an hour to decide what to do with one minute) tends to reign in vindictive emotional reactions.

Seems like a reasonable theory.

2. Forum members in IL2 are younger or less educated.

I'm not sold on this one at all. The older, more knowledgeable posters get into urination contests over who knows more, and they can get quite adversarial. Consider the following quote:

"Was the Erla canopy a vast improvement over earlier 109 canopy designs? Absolutely, and my hat's off to the designer. Was it the equivalent of a full bubble canopy? Not unless German pilots had X-Ray vision. Your refusal to grasp the simple rearward line-of-sight interference caused by the 80-odd centimeter wide rear spine of the 109 fuselage is laughable. That you would actually attempt to represent that configuration as superior to a 30cm wide head rest immediately behind the pilot is foolish. Are you about to claim now that the Erla canopy provided a 109 better rearward visibility than a FW190? Such a claim is ridiculous on its face. Do the geometry for yourself. "

3. Moderators in the CM forum are more thorough.

A subthread cited a certain inflammatory member who was eventually banned from this forum. I would note how much trouble and grief was caused by this single member before he was banned. The problem is that moderators have to give such people the benefit of the doubt for several posts before they can ban them, before which they are able to cause substantial damage to the mood of the forum. In IL2, the mood has been so damaged that you'd darn near have to ban everyone.

As a weird note, the IL2 forum seems to have calmed down lately, for no apparent reason.

4. The data in CM is less subjective (my own theory).

The reason I say this is that many of the facts people in IL2 use to support their claims are based on pilot opinions of performance, which, of course, are quite contradictory. There just isn't hard data on things like energy bleed, turn radius, etc, etc. All the hard data only suggests performance, but does not ascertain it. You see a lot of posts like the following:

"So he shot down an Bf-109 of which pilot did not see him. That gave Carson a serios insight on how Bf-109 behave in battle. Molders shot down 25 Spitfire from a total of 115 air kills early in the war (Molders died in an accident in '41). He said that Spitfire was pathetic as a fighter. Yes, he flew Bf-109. Molders opinion weights much more than that of Col. 'Nobody' Carson."

[ October 24, 2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: sightreader ]

Being a former IL-2er myself, I totally understand what you are saying. In fact I was speaking to a friend a few weeks ago about the state of the IL-2 community. I think much had to do with the war with Iraq, people used the forums less for talking about the game and filled the boards with "single-posters" their views. That is not to say this site didn't have the same thing, it's just Ubi's forums really started escalating into MANY personal attacks. Several towards me as well. One person called me a profane name because I replied to a thread with a little joke with a 2000x2000 pure black signature (that is only 5k in size).

Also people began to be impatient, IL-2 FB was pretty buggy at 1.0, and instead of getting a patch after the first few weeks, we had to wait about 6 months for the first patch that added very little other than many flight performence tweeks. Now we are seing two new addon packs (with a pay addon-pack) in the horizion. I don't think the impatience of the people will wear off soon.

Other than flaming over patches and flight performance data (where everything is pretty much subjective). There is actually little to talk about. There are people who occationally need help, but it's still mostly just fights between people who complain about flight performance as that is basically the only thing left to talk about.

Over here the attitude is much different, we have our patches, we have a solid and good top-notch game series. There is little competition so you can't have a lot of flaming "This game is such a let-down compared to ****!!". The PENG threads (althought I am mostly a lurcher and still can't understand them), have brought people together, where they can argue amongnst themselves in a strange yet entertaining fashion.

You can't debate too much on vehicle statistics as you can on IL-2, and considering that CM is already strong in the stats area, there is little to complain about. The mods are really friendly, where in the Ubi forums they block so many threads and there is so many people asking mods and developers specifically for questions (that aren't answered for some obvious reasons), to them it's almost like a routine.. Where over here having mods give us info or help is almost an every-day occurance.

But a lot of the original members actually are now chatting on www.acompletewasteofspace.com , most are Ubi.com refugee's if you ever want to visit there.

Originally posted by CGDreamerX:

Also people began to be impatient, IL-2 FB was pretty buggy at 1.0, and instead of getting a patch after the first few weeks, we had to wait about 6 months for the first patch that added very little other than many flight performence tweeks. Now we are seing two new addon packs (with a pay addon-pack) in the horizion. I don't think the impatience of the people will wear off soon.

From what I can tell, this delay in patches is typical for games where the vast majority of gameplay is real time dependent, including first person shooters. I don't know if this means that the community for all these real time games is as angry as the IL2 community.

As for the paid add-ons, they used to release additional aircraft and fixes in free patches, but instead of being thankful, the forum would virulently attack the design team for not including their favorite plane or for downgrading the performance of a favorite plane. They would attempt to rebalance this back the other way, only to get bitter comments from those whose favorite plane was now getting beat by the changes. Designer Oleg Maddox was rumored to say that this sort of ill will was so frustrating that they decided that things would be a lot simpler if they just made people pay for the add-ons.