CMX2 and iSight!

Originally posted by gibsonm:

Hi,

Any chance of support for iSight and similar Windows products?

Imagine hitting “Go” and then watching your opponent‘s face as your master plan unfolds!

you can sort of do that NOW in iChat on a Mac.

iChat the free beta demo from Apple is FREE Apple video conferencing.

I am still looking for someone online here who is set up to connect via video with me?

thanks

-tom w

Tom W,

Well I have an iSight and iChat AV installed.

Hopefully its not too early / late wherever you are.

The downside is that its attached to a 1GHz G4 PB so I can either use iChat AV in OS X or boot into OS 9 and run CMBB with crap graphics!

I suppose I could fire up my “old” 500MHz G4 PB and run CMBB on that while iChatting on the 1GHz!

Ah the joys of Airport (not having to worry about having enough network connections)!

gibsonm1@mac.com

Tom W,

Well I have an iSight and iChat AV installed.

Hopefully its not too early / late wherever you are.

The downside is that its attached to a 1GHz G4 PB so I can either use iChat AV in OS X or boot into OS 9 and run CMBB with crap graphics!

I suppose I could fire up my “old” 500MHz G4 PB and run CMBB on that while iChatting on the 1GHz!

Ah the joys of Airport (not having to worry about having enough network connections)!

gibsonm1@mac.com

HI

I am in the EST toronto

I can only run iChat on the OSX mac true (same problem here)

but I can play CMBB while we video chat (OSX) at the same time on my Tibook laptop (OS9)

Can you e-mail me to set up a time?

thanks smile.gif !

-tom w

Very little bandwidth used too.

And the great thing from a CMBO / CMBB point of view is that the next versions of AIM and Windows Messenger will use the same standard so it wont be just a Mac to Mac thing!

Looks like we will all need to shave now before we start playing.

A point to note though, Apple’s Knowledge Base article 93208 speaks of needing ports 5060 and 16384 through to 16403 open if you are on a LAN.

UDP Port 5060 is used by iChat AV for signaling and initiation of chat invitations. To use iChat AV behind a firewall, make sure your network administrator has opened UDP port 5060.

UDP Ports 16384 to 16403 are used to send and receive video and audio data. For any particular conference, 4 ports from that range of 20 are utilized.

One port is used for each of the following:

Video in

Video out

Audio in

Audio out

And to turn off the OS X Firewall (System Preferences -> Sharing).

[ July 08, 2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

Very little bandwidth used too.

And the great thing from a CMBO / CMBB point of view is that the next versions of AIM and Windows Messenger will use the same standard so it wont be just a Mac to Mac thing!

Looks like we will all need to shave now before we start playing.

A point to note though, Apple’s Knowledge Base article 93208 speaks of needing ports 5060 and 16384 through to 16403 open if you are on a LAN.

UDP Port 5060 is used by iChat AV for signaling and initiation of chat invitations. To use iChat AV behind a firewall, make sure your network administrator has opened UDP port 5060.

UDP Ports 16384 to 16403 are used to send and receive video and audio data. For any particular conference, 4 ports from that range of 20 are utilized.

One port is used for each of the following:

Video in

Video out

Audio in

Audio out

And to turn off the OS X Firewall (System Preferences -> Sharing).

GREAT

thanks for the tech update Mark

Mark and I are not technical wizards (not hard core unix C+ programer geeks :eek: anyway smile.gif )

and we figured it out NO problem

this iChat technology from Apple REALLY works and it is REALLY simple and virtually idiot proof.

As Mark says the next version of AIM and windows messenger will be using the exact same technology so by the time CMX2 comes out this video conferencing technology should be most popular and out there for folks other than "early adopters" like Mark and I smile.gif .

CMX2 and the BFC team should really look into the virtues of the iChat video conferencing. It's FREE and it works in OS X RIGHT NOW (unlike CMBB or CMBO :( ).

-tom w

[ July 08, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]