Which battles has the AI attacking decently?

Before I try humans, can anyone recommend which scenario has the AI bringing, when you're defending, a reasonable attack? I tried Hill 312 as Ivan after beating it as the germans, and it was a joke .. only lost one guy, and only had to press Go 25 times and watch the movie.. ants in my kitchen give me more surprises..

Then I tried Defense of Verkhne-Golubaya because it seemed like a last-stand kind of scenario, and it was also a joke, 550 russian casualties (3 times my total troops) and a major victory, the stuff on my side of the river hardly saw action ..

Don't underestimate the ants in your kitchen or they will be your undoing...especially if you live in Texas...

the ant AI in our apartment (my wife and I) was quite advanced. As soon as we figured out where they were coming in and sprayed that area with ant spray, they found a new way in. We figured out what they like to eat (sweets, especially honey) and made it unavailable (by putting it in the fridge.) They adapted and chewed through a plastic sack of rice to eat its contents, as well as a plastic spaghetti bag to eat the raw noodles.

My suggestion is to lay down covering fire with ant spray while you call in artillery (the Orkin Man) and then make a hasty withdrawl while they are disorganized.

[ January 02, 2003, 12:55 AM: Message edited by: Ruthless ]

There are a lot of battles designed for two-player rather than single-versus-AI. The AI has some problems in handling columns of vehicles, and isn't very good at sneaking around a flank. However, it's not bad overall and you can find some scenarios designed to counterbalance these weaknesses with extra troops, better experience levels, etc. Check The Scenario Depot for some reviews.

Don't give up. You don't like one, try another. Sometimes the AI is surprisingly good. Sometimes it's as stupid as a stone. Just like people. The big thing to remember is that the AI doesn't "learn" like you do.

Ian

Originally posted by Ruthless:

Don't underestimate the ants in your kitchen or they will be your undoing...especially if you live in Texas...

the ant AI in our apartment (my wife and I) was quite advanced. As soon as we figured out where they were coming in and sprayed that area with ant spray, they found a new way in. We figured out what they like to eat (sweets, especially honey) and made it unavailable (by putting it in the fridge.) They adapted and chewed through a plastic sack of rice to eat its contents, as well as a plastic spaghetti bag to eat the raw noodles.

My suggestion is to lay down covering fire with ant spray while you call in artillery (the Orkin Man) and then make a hasty withdrawl while they are disorganized.

Try borax mixed with sugar water. You can make a bunch and keep it in the fridge (make sure to write "poison!!" on it though.). You leave it in bottle caps in various strategic locations. The ants love it--the ant trails start going for it immediately. Takes about a week to decimate an ant population that way.

Another thing that I've found wonderfully effective against very small ants in the kitchen has been 409. Seems to kill them on contact, so you can kill *and* clean at the same time!

Originally posted by Laox:

Before I try humans, can anyone recommend which scenario has the AI bringing, when you're defending, a reasonable attack? I tried Hill 312 as Ivan after beating it as the germans, and it was a joke .. only lost one guy, and only had to press Go 25 times and watch the movie.. ants in my kitchen give me more surprises..

Then I tried Defense of Verkhne-Golubaya because it seemed like a last-stand kind of scenario, and it was also a joke, 550 russian casualties (3 times my total troops) and a major victory, the stuff on my side of the river hardly saw action ..

5th SS PzGr Wiking; it's at the scen depot. it is a doozy to play the Germans against the ai, esp. with a bonus.

'5th SS Wiking'

Played it over the holidays, and managed a decisive victory against the AI.

How?

SPOILER ALERT

Recently in a PBEM against Greg Vietz, I got a platoon of Soviet Paras slaughtered due to surprise flanking attack from a German platoon.

Lesson learned.

So, I tried it against the AI to test the 'new' trick Vietz handed to me.

In the scenario, on the German far North Flank, lies a well led and high quality platoon in the woods. I withdrew them a bit into a mini-cordon of defense and placed them in hidden mode. I watched a bunch of Ruskies just walk on by, oblivious to my troops hiding in the woods.

Waiting, waiting, then bang, I opened up on them, attacking the column of troops knowing the AI order of column (HQs, Squads, HVY teams), and poured fire into the first units in that column at their backsides and flanks. They panicked, some back into the open near the edge, where the were gunned down by a squad still able to see that area. I was relentless, and did not stop until ANOTHER column appeared behind me, and took parting shots at my platoon. I withdrew from that column, rushed way in front of the column I just crushed, swung my force to the left, and ran right into the side of that other German column.

As Rex said to me, "it's who gets the first drop that wins", and I got that drop again.

After that one was crushed, the survivors of the other battle arrived, and got wupped again.

By mid scenario, that one platoon had suffered about 12 casualties spread out in the platoon, and wiped out nearly TWO Soviet companies.

This was due to stealth and a lot of patience on my part, and more importantly, formation responsibility, which the AI does not practice.

Later, my platoon would get near the center road and run down an IS-2 and kill that too.

One squad had 57 kills, one mortar detroyed, and one IS-2 to its credit.

The Platoon HQ got 14 kills on its own for one loss!.

The AI is too weak in its tactics to be considered a worthy opponent. I play AI mostly to test things and figure out timing, best weapons, etc. They are "live fire" exercises so to speak for practice in the real thing, PBEM.

[ January 02, 2003, 06:22 PM: Message edited by: Wilhammer ]