Fun with area firing....

I'm trying to support my infantry with area fire as they advance on some enemy platoons in the woods. Does anyone know what distance the friendlies must be from the target area before the AFV will actually fire? It's so frustrating to have to try to guess and then watch the tank sit there doing nothing for the whole minute because friendly infantry are too close....

If you are worried about that, you are cutting it too close. :D Bad luck will find you the time your infantry is advancing and your AFV is still firing.

Try switching from the main gun to the machine gun. Move your area target behind the enemy infanty if you can get LOS.

I would say within 20m is too close. You will start to "shake" your own men.

• 2 weeks later...

Z - actually, area fire or aimed fire will suppress units up to 25m away. The effect is quite small in the 15-25m window, but enough to prevent rally if the units are in open ground. I use 14m as my rule of thumb inside the best forms of defender cover - meaning trench, stone building, or woods-pine - and 26m anywhere else. When cover is scarce I will allow 14m separation in trees, rough, rubble and wood buildings as well, but I prefer not to. The reason is you want any unit not being directly targeted to rally fully, to maximize your "rally power" and consequent ability to "eat through" enemy ammo.