Marxdorf scenario

I'm new at CMBB, and my grand weakness is Armor tactics. Common sense tells me that hitting enemy tanks from the flanks, thereby allowing you to hit them from the side/rear, is the idea. What I'm quickly (and violently) learning, though, is that getting to a flanking position is sometimes impossible, and I'm at a loss as to what to do. My best example: the Marxdorf scenario. I'm playing 1-player as the Allies. As you might recall, a boatload of Soviet tanks come down a narrow, wooded pipeline. You have to take this narrow path to a clearing, before you can zip to the town to reinforce Soviet infantry. The problem: there's one pesky Tiger Tank with an awfully accurate 88mm main gun. The T34 shells don't do much harm to it from the 1000 meters distance. The Tiger, though, is deadly accurate & potent even from that distance. What's the best approach to evading/destroying the Tiger?

Thanks, Brendan

Originally posted by Webs:

Got smoke?

Nope! I've played this one as the Allies and they aint got no smoke. The T-34 is not equipped with smoke at any point in the war, AFAIK, though it would certainly come in handy, and there's no FO to provide smoke, eitherl. The best thing you can probably do, given the narrow place the tanks have to funnel through, is back up and avoid the enemy tank and try to win the battle with your other units. Frustrating, but better than having several platoons of tanks die uselessly.

*****SPOILER*****

That Tiger Tank--so ID'ed in my game, too--is really a King Tiger and there's no way that swarm of T-34/85s is going to kill it as long as it stands off at 1000m plus. But, the Allies get enough resources to win the scenario without that posse of tanks that have to come through the narrow forest road. I lost about 6 tanks trying to kill the [King] Tiger before I finally gave up, but still managed a minor win by moving my reinforcing infantry thru the woods and getting them into the town, plus used my few reinforcement tanks on the right to beat the lighter German armor on that side.

[ December 30, 2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: CombinedArms ]

It's possible to break out of the forest by using FAST and some waypoints. Just make sure that you start it IN the forest, so you're really moving by the time the T2 sees you.

I got over half of them into the town this way. Even King Tiger's cant hit a bunch of the fastest moving tank in WW2, if they're really moving.

Spoiler.

I KILLED THE KING!

I achieved this by fast moving down the road network onto the first left hand turn (Out of loas of KT)

Get some tanks there (some will die but hey you got loads) with those tanks start leap frogging, moving the tanks in the start position over to the left hand turn and those in the left hand turn onwards on to the road-network that is handily

1. In a forest blocking all LOS to the KT

2. Comes out just behind the KT

Using this tactic you can close to within 150m of the KT on its flank or rear.

Onec you have killed the KT the scenario descends into a slaughter.

Great~!