Best Panzer During WW2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my favourites. As you can see, for most part I prefer mobility over armour. There's quite nothing like the excitement of trying to get to the enemy's flank.

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;"> Germany Britain USA USSR

1939 PzII n/a n/a T-28E

1940 PzIIIG Cruiser I n/a KV-1 m/40

1941 PzIIIH Cruiser IV M3 Stuart T-34 m/41

1942 PzIVF2 Crusader II M4 Sherman T-34 m/42

1943 Tiger Cromwell M4A1 T-34 m/43

1944 Panther D Cromwell M4A3 T-34/85 m/44

1945 Panther G Firefly M4A3E8 T-34/85 m/44 </pre>

If i had to go to war as a tanker say in 43 and could choose any model of any nation during 39-45, i would choose Tiger I. Live expectancy would be quite good and a lot of (Hero)-action would be guaranteed (always at the hot spots). However i had to fear that nasty habit of Adolf letting me fight as footslogger once my beloved Tiger would have gone, as a last stand "Deathspell already given" Detachment, which unfortunately will occur rather sooner than later...... Well, one cannot live forever. Hero's tank of choice. Epitome of WWII Tank. Fight lavishly, die lavishly..

T-34: Overall the best Tank in WWII, but not so glorious for the crew (Tankcommander of 5 GTA in an interview after the war: Out of "Our Band of Brothers" of 6 which started out in 1943, i'm the only one left....), good for Patriots, ZEN-loving men. Concentrate on the essentials, don't be distracted by all the superflous things in the world.

IS-2(together with ISUs and JSUs 152mm): One shot wonder only effective in large pulks versus numerical inferior enemytanks, else dead. Tank of choice for the Butcher minded in a rage, rough and mean to all.

M4(75 & maybe? 76):

Shows it's bright sides primarily for nearby spectators when being hit, atleast in firt 2 and half years up to the finale.

Don't like to be the victim of ignorant higher Echelon... Neat Doctrine: In case you see a german tank retreat and call the TDs ASAP and wait for enemy inf stroling in front of the gun to kill. Of course if things go hot, your Captain (being ass-kicked down the line) will order your Platoon to outflank that pesky Panther 1500 yds ahead on the ridge (which unknown to you is flanked by some buddies) by means of an ingenious outflanking manouver (after Artillery failed to dislodge them), Great Job !

Ideal tank for the underdog nameless hero

Churchill: Slowly moving pillbox (Mk. VIII) otherwise exercise shooting target for the Pak-gunners. If there would be a remote control we could made friends.

Ideal tank for WWI-era Lovers.

Cromwell: Where are we supposed to go, and where are we ??? Where doesn't matter, but do it fast !!!

Ideal, for men loving the unexpected sides of warfare.

17pdr M4: Well, that's a tank one can fight with atleast !

Panther: The Bauhaus tank, beautiful sleek professional killing machine. Brittle on the sides, likes to become enlightend when hit from the side. The one Schumacher would choose, if he would be a tanker i suppose. My second rate.

StuGs: For the sacrifice minded with really strong nerves. Last hope of the poor Infantry, thousands count on you(This should ring a bell right ?) !! Missions usually have a desperate tendency to be last stands against all odds. As was said: "The live of the Sturmartillery is short but eventful !"

Kingtiger/Jagdtiger: You will be in the hotspots, but unfortunately, either there's no fuel, the finaldrive broke on the muddy trail, or you have been outflankend or encircled. A great tank for a great fresh mighty army, but unfortunately not in late 1944 on the german side, too late Kamerad ! Where's the Reconplatoon, the heavy bridging Battailon, the Flanksupport, the heavy-Tows, and where's the next Fueldepot and Repairshop ?

Greets

Daniel

[ August 16, 2004, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: danielh ]

Originally posted by l.cassidy:

Hi all,

here's my favorites:

Axis: Panther

Allied: T34 family

I believe these two tanks were the most innovative of WWII and both included the features that a modern MBT has: mobility, protection and firepower.

Regards,

Cassidy

If we're talking about innovative, we might also count the M26 Pershing. It didn't arrive in large numbers but had many strong features and formed the basis for all US tanks through the M60, which fought in the first Gulf War.

I got curious about how the Pershing would stand up to the Panther so I dusted off CMBO and set up a battle of 10 Super-Pershings vs. 10 Panthers. I took the Pershings vs. the AI and killed all ten Panthers for the loss of one of my tanks. The 90mm proved quite lethal vs. the frontal armor of the Panther whereas most of the Panther shots bounced. Of course, the IS-3 was similarly innovated and the granddaddy of a long line of Soviet tanks.

Just tried the battle from the other side, taking the 10 Panthers against the 10 Super-Pershings and again beat the AI, again losing only one tank--this time a Panther.

But fighting as the Panthers I had to use "Sherman" or Hellcat tactics, looking for flank shots, trying to hit one enemy tank with multiple tanks of my own, from multiple angles. The haplessness of the AI helped a lot. In a head to head encounter, I think the Pershing has a real advantage.

Am I the only person to favor the old Pz.Kpfw. III?.. Especially from Ausf J(late) and on. The 50mm/60 gun and 50+20 armor are both quite effective and Panzer III's (of all Ausf) have always served me well. Don't forget the Pz.Kpfw. III!, as it contributed greatly to all the incredible early war Wehrmacht victories.

XI

Combined Arms,

Using CMBO in determing relative tankquality may be a bit misleading.

To the M26:

First loss ocurred in the Night of 26.-27. February 1945 by Nr. 38 of F-Company of the 33rd Armored Regiment. The tank with the name "Fireball" received 3 hits from a Tiger I of Heavy Tankcompany "Hummel" (an alarm unit using tanks of training units). The first shot penetrated the turretmantle and killed Loader and Gunner, the second hit the cannon, the third again hit the mantlet ricocheted of and sheared off the Comanders cupola. At 1. March 1945 Tank Nr. 25 received 2 hits by a Nashorn knocking it out, damage was so that the tank was used for spare parts afterwards.

The 90mm in the M26 could penetrate the Panther's turretmantle to quite a range, but usually not the glacis above 500m (as could the Panther's Kwk and even the Tiger I). What was really interesting with the M26 (and the outstanding Chaffee) was the really ingenious recuperator gun mount, which saved a lot of space (placed circular around the gun).

Source: "Military Modelling Journal Nr. 6/2002"

Greets

Daniel

"Hi all,

here's my favorites:

Axis: Panther

Allied: T34 family

I believe these two tanks were the most innovative of WWII and both included the features that a modern MBT has: mobility, protection and firepower.

Regards,

Cassidy "

I thought the Panther was a reaction to the T34! Apart from the Germans made it complicated and ran it on petrol.

Know if the had kept the chassis and used a Panther turret and gun ...... mmmmmm!. Ok it may need a little reworking but they did fanny about with the engine and reliability.

Originally posted by dieseltaylor:

I thought the Panther was a reaction to the T34! Apart from the Germans made it complicated and ran it on petrol.

Know if the had kept the chassis and used a Panther turret and gun ...... mmmmmm!. Ok it may need a little reworking but they did fanny about with the engine and reliability.

I dont think the Panther has anything to do with the T-34 and of course it wasnt a reaction to it.

Before the Panther appeared, there were allready PzIV and Stug longs around plus severly Tigers who hade no problems with anything the russians fielded.

The Tale, that the Pather was a copy of the T-34 comes from the first Prototype the Germans made, where they put the turret to the front comparable to the T-34 design. But was imediatly abandoned due to the stepp back in Tank design and for the fact that the tank gets to be nose heavy.

Can you too give a hint how better the T-34 Chassis was to the Panther one?

If you are able to made a similiar in size Diesel Engine with the same power charakteristics like a petrol engine.... you can come back and complain again. Not to mention the fact, that the rest of the german Tank-Fleet runned also on Petrol.....so far to the complication.

I dont think the Panther has anything to do with the T-34 and of course it wasnt a reaction to it.
-K_Tiger

Quite the contrary, according to achtungpanzer

In December of 1941, Wa Pruef ordered Daimler-Benz and MAN (Maschinenfabrik Augsburg Nuernberg) to design new 30-ton tank armed with 75mm KwK L/70 gun as a response to the Soviet T-34/76

Check out the early picture vk3002db.jpg

tank.

Message edited for clarity and format and to see if I could add a picture

[ August 21, 2004, 08:19 AM: Message edited by: Sivodsi ]

Originally posted by K_Tiger:

Before the Panther appeared, there were allready PzIV and Stug longs around plus severly Tigers who hade no problems with anything the russians fielded.

But when the project which led to Panther was initiated, there was no Tiger nor any AFV's with long 75. Arming StuG's and PzIV's could only serve as a stop-gap measure, and Tiger was meant as a heavy tank (and was expensive, too).

Panther was a new generation weapon which had the same advantages compared to older generation AFV's as T-34 had had in 1941: good mobility, good gun, good armour. Only upgraded to meet the 1943 requirements.

For a long time Panther suffered from mechanical problems. T-34 wasn't perfect either, as Soviet tank units lost a lot of their readiness during long marches for mechanical breakdowns. Sherman was appreciated by Soviet tankers for this reason.

Of course, the ultimate truth is this: the best tank is a burning tank. :D

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />

-K_Tiger

Quite the contrary, according to achtungpanzer

In December of 1941, Wa Pruef ordered Daimler-Benz and MAN (Maschinenfabrik Augsburg Nuernberg) to design new 30-ton tank armed with 75mm KwK L/70 gun as a response to the Soviet T-34/76

Check out the early picture vk3002db.jpg

tank.

Message edited for clarity and format and to see if I could add a picture </font>