Best Panzer During WW2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite Panzer? If we are only talking about Tracked German Turreted AFV's, I would have to say the PvIVF2.

If we are talking any German AFV, I would have to say any StuG.

If we are talking about any AFV from WW2... Hmmm... The T-34 is really cool, but I think I prefer StuG's.

-Alech

Originally posted by Retigade:

So pleace tell your favorite Panzer from WW2 :rolleyes:tongue.gif :eek: jani_tillanen@hotmail.com

I find it interesting that you chose the Tiger IV, as it suffered from a low hamstertruppen to nahvehrteidigungswaffe ratio, and the crews disliked it as a result. I think the Panther III was far superior, but thats just me....

;)

Perhaps best done in time slots

1942 etc otherwise why not simply choose the final tank in the series Pershing, the Cromwell was good. Mind you I do like the OT/34 also : ) . The Crocodile was pretty nifty - if you do not equate speed with the word

AND

Given that this is an international forum what your grandpa said is probably better left unsaid in your sig line.

Note that I did not say "best." Best is a function of circumstance all the way down to particular tactical conditions on a given day. Two people can argue till they are blue in their faces as to what tank/gun/whatever was best, and chances are they'll both be right and wrong.

I look at tanks as boxers. Panthers are those guys that dance and never get hit, with arms 12 feet long. Great punch, but should never get close. Can only take a punch from dead straight on, which makes it even more important to stay at long range.

T-34/85s, IS-1/2, great footwork, great punch, bad technique. If they ever manage to hit anything, their punch is solid. Excellent maneuverability, but it takes them so long to think that the advantage is often wasted.

Tiger, on the other hand, has the whole package. He doesn't care who he's fighting, he can do it all, and do it well. Just point him at anybody from 10 meters to 3000 meters, and whatever you point him at is probably going away very soon.

Besides, he has the look too.

Originally posted by Vossiewulf:

Tiger, on the other hand, has the whole package. He doesn't care who he's fighting, he can do it all, and do it well. Just point him at anybody from 10 meters to 3000 meters, and whatever you point him at is probably going away very soon.

Besides, he has the look too.

I whole heartedly agree with you, but I'm going to throw King Tigers into the mix as well. Allow me to provide two anecdotes as an example of why I love the Tiger tanks.

In CMAK PBEM during an Anzio battle I was forced to lead a Panzergrenadier company across an open field (vineyard) through machine guns, artillery, small arms, Sherman tanks firing HE, and capture a small village occupied by British & Irish troops. I was supported by Panzers from the Herman Goering division who were quickly -slaughtered- and all seemed lost. But then a miracle! Two Tiger tanks arrived, engaged the enemy, and -destroyed- the Allied armor. After which they reinvigorated morale, took charge of, and spearheaded my attack into the village. So I captured it and defeated the Allies. That victory belongs entirely to those two Tiger tanks.

Also in CMBB PBEM, late war, I used two King Tigers to spearhead a column of tired & wounded soldiers, plus refugees to smash through the Russian lines. And boy did they. No matter what my opponent through at me my King's just brushed it off and demolished everything. So most of my force got through intact.

I don't care what anyone says. After battles like those two I firmly believe Tigers are gods of the battlefield.

Good point Paul. With the depleted neutronium armor and the six-barreled 128mm/L100 rotary cannon firing one shot every second, those King Panthers were pretty tough. Especially with the IIIB series, when they upped internal main gun ammo stowage to 600 rounds. Thank god that the earth's crust frequently collapsed under them, with most last sighted making a beeline for the center of the earth. If not, the war could have lasted quite a bit longer.