tcp/ip Firewall/Hosting Question

Speaking for XP, there is a default pseudo-firewall setting that may have been set when you set up your original networking capability with your ISP. If you are running XP you can check this by going to My Network Places and Viewing Your Network Connections. From there you should see an icon that represents your ISP network connection. If you right-click on it and select properties and then the advanced tab, you should see if the Internet Connection Firewall has been set. I don't believe that other flavours of Windows have this additional security, so in this case the only firewalls I am aware of are ones that you download and install on your system yourself, i.e. ZoneAlarm etc.

Now if you are on a shared connection like at work or a University etc. that's a whole other story and you would have to contact your network administrator for more details. I am not sure if ISP's set up a default firewall, never heard of this but you could always try and contact them to find out, or even check their webpages for more info.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

...you can check this by going to My Network Places and Viewing Your Network Connections. From there you should see an icon that represents your ISP network connection. If you right-click on it and select properties and then the advanced tab, you should see if the Internet Connection Firewall has been set.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

When I right-clicked on ISP icon it said: "properties not available".

I called the cable company (Comcast, metro Detroit area) and was told I could not host games. Period. End of story.

For the purpose of security, this is not allowed.

It had nothing to do with any firewall I might have.

I thought this was strange because I thought I played against a comcast member in another state, who was kind enough to host.

Sincerely,

Ken

Originally posted by kenfedoroff:

SandCastle in Pennsylvania has Comcast and he can host. I have to look into this. I don't understand why Comcast, metro Detroit can't host.

Sincerely,

Ken

They are handing you a line of BS. Probally the person you spoke to thought you were refering to a multi-player game that would require large amounts of bandwidth. I.E. Half-life/Unreal/Quake.

All you have to do is make sure port 6530 can accept incomeing connections there are a mutitude of programs to check this. just search. And yes you may have to tell a firewall you have running to allow port 6530 to be connected to. Also there is no way they can stop you from serveing a game. If they could then All security firms would be of no consequence as there would never be another hack attack. GOTO practicallynetworked.com do some reading. I don't know nor recommend XP so i cannot help you here but i did walk an xp user once through hosting and he was able to after shutting down his firewall. So good luck but Remeber one thing Your ISP CANNOT stop you from hosting a game. PERIOD.

• 3 weeks later...
Originally posted by Iron Ranger:

Ken,

Does your game still lockup when you hit the Quit Key? I noticed that since I purchased a new monitor that I've had the same problem, or the system is just slow. What I do is hit the Esc key, min SC, then bring it back as my primary window and everything is fine. Hope this helps

IR

Thanks for sharing this trick. For some reason this allows me to quit, (as long as full screen comes back with "quit button" visible).

If full screen won't come back, then I have to dump whole thing.

Sincerely,

Ken