Game Locks Up

For what it's worth, I too am having lock-up issues when I hit the "Quit" button. I am also running Windows ME. It's been happening all the way through to version 1.06.

I will look into the Win ME update suggested in the Gds_Starfury thread.

Please delete or move this thread as you see fit. I just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Sincerely,

Ken

The downside is that you should not attempt an inplace upgrade. Nuke everything by creating a new NTFS partition during the install.

This means you have to write a list of everything you have installed currently and confirm you know how to reinstall it afterwards. Things like Outlook Express emails and OE favourites can be preserved if you know how.

I also have this problem & I can't get it to stop, even after updating everything. win98 2nd ed. has been good to me so I don't feel win2k should be the answer. Any suggestions?

I just got the game 2 days ago & I can't stop playing it. The A.I. does a good job of defending, but is a bit weak on the attack. Some Qs:

1)Subs seem weak, any advice on how to use them better?

2)is R&D really worth the $$-I feel like the units which can be bought instead are a better value overall.

3)what is the bast bang-for-buck land/sea/air unit in SC.

Thanks in advance.

Just looked all this stuff up & found out about a lot more...this game is simple & yet offers much deep strategy. I'm still learning but if anyone of you guys would like to take me "under your wing" I'll be sure to play with honor - Read: I don't cheat b/c I don't feel you can be a winner that way. I play for fun & to challenge my mind. "Winning" is just a side effect, of course a pleasent one smile.gif

I will miss the social aspects of board games, but the internet has really help this genre & games like this are a god send for us hex lovers. I can't wait for a PBEM game. I will be gone for the holidays but if anyone's willing to school (not abuse) a rookie just leave your mark.

Grobdeutschland, I'd post your strategy Qs in the main SC forum, not here in tech support. As for the lockup issue, if you've read the other threads on it and they don't help, then I'd suggest starting your own fresh thread here.

When I moved my machine from Win98se to win2000 about 12 months ago, Europa Universalis 2 ran much better for me, and pretty much stopped crashing too.

Originally posted by Grobdeutschland:

Oops...just to be clear...I did not find an answer to the game lock up, so I could still use a drop on that. Thanks

Glad to hear you are enjoying the game but very sorry to hear about the trouble you are experiencing, not sure what could be the problem as it seems to only happen on a few rare systems mostly running ME but in your case also on 98. The game has been tested on all these systems but despite that there is no guarantee for some unique setups that appear to cause this problem.

Hubert

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by kenfedoroff:

I tried the Windows ME update trick and it still locks up when I hit the "Quit" game button .... for what it's worth.

Sincerely,

Ken

Just a follow up since the Windows Me update...

Since the update the lock-up frequency rate is down. Still random when I hit the "Quit" button.

Ken

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is this.... SC has had a memory leak problem which was supposed to have been fixed in patch 1.04 I think. WinMe also has some serious memory related issues. The combination of these is whats the problem. I had to rebuild my brothers pc with Win98se on it and I havnt had any lockups or problems with SC. Keeping one old pc around is pretty useful smile.gif