Contour and Elevation data for any part of the world

Not sure if there are any scenario designers left who don't know this but - at least for the areas that have interested me (the Netherlands and Sicily so far), Google Earth provides elevation data by simply running the mouse over the ground. Don't confuse this feature with the camera height feature, though.

I don't know how accurate it is - I've not compared my findings to actual terrain maps (but then again, many terrain maps of the 1940s were woefully inaccurate, particularly, say, German maps of Russia or British maps of parts of Italy.)

Terrain changes over time, even 60 years, and many towns fought over in the 1940s have been built up considerably, or rebuilt, but in most cases, the actual elevation levels don't change. (Berlin is an exception, as I believe the tons of rubble created by the final battle was used to create "artificial" hills in and after 1945 during the clearance process.

Wondering if there are other opinions on the usefullness of Google Earth. From my perspective it is an excellent tool as long as one knows its limitations. To that end I'd be interesting in opinions on how accurate the elevation feature is.

It seemed ok when comparing sketch maps of Valguarnera in Sicily, but I got some "funny" results tooling around my home city. It is possible some areas have more accurate data than others?

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

To that end I'd be interesting in opinions on how accurate the elevation feature is.

If you look at Lake Ladoga on GoogleEarth, you'll notice that it ain't a lake, it's a river - and not flowing south to Neva, but to north. The south end of the lake has an elevation of 20 feet from sea level while the north end can be as low as -30 feet. I suppose the drain hole is there.

I wouldn't trust the tool at all, not for scenario design anyway. It just isn't accurate or detailed enough for tactical level - not if the area does not consist of very big hills or mountains but finer slopes.

Anyway, why would you need any helps for Netherlands? Just make it flat and place it beneath the sea level.

Originally posted by Stoffel:

Michael,

I have the army staff maps,digitally.

If you want to know more about a certain area in the Netherlands just ask.

I also have a link for the weatherdata going back to 1800 smile.gif

You might want to look at www.grebbeberg.nl

Site is available in English too.

henk

Many thanks - I have weather info via Canadian Army war diaries but will have a peek at that.

As for which areas I am interested in terrain...

ummm...all of Walcheren Island, the South Beveland Peninsula, North Beveland, and the area from Antwerp to Bergen op Zoom, including Hoogerheide and Woensdrecht? :D

As well as Groningen. And Deventer. Apeldoorn. Ijsselmeer...

A detailed map of Groningen would be a real boon to a current project, though. smile.gif