Taking the Train

I've tried this scenario several times. As Germans on the assault and Russians as the Defense.

Germans - results are fairly disasterous for me. I've managed to take about half the objectives at best. I can take and hold the train station most of the time. The AA guns that double as tank killers are exceptionally deadly.

Russians - I pounced the Germans mercilessly, i don't think the scenario is really designed for the AI to play the Germans (thinking i read that in the briefing??? not sure). The german AI did stupendously worse than me the supernoob.

Have any newer players tried this scenario? It's at the bottom of the first page of battles, maybe top of second off the top of my head..

Anyone have any advice for this confrontation? Is this one of those that is near impossible battles?

I take it you are playing the AI, as all bets are off versus another person.

First off, note that the central wooded ridge divides the approaches to the buildings.

Secondly, the Soviet AT/AA is a given to the opposition from the start.

Lastily, note that the Germans are better supported and their infantry are more experienced.

For a German cake walk versus the AI ;

Place almost all your turreted armor in hull down postions in the paddaock opposite the heavy AA. Place the IVs and the SiGs in the other paddock with a view to bombarding the light AA positions, hull down of course. Everything else line up as far forward and out of site in the paddock opposite the heavy AA.

Turn 1 ; IIIs blow the crap out of the train.

IVs and SiGs blow the crap out of the Light AA postion.

Rush everything (infantry should walk not run) forward ending their moves in the gullies and out of sight. In particular keep a HQ in command of you mortar HTs so they can bombard the Heavy AA postions.

Turn 2-10 HTs bombard gun positions, infantry forms up for assault on that raised fort with the one 37mm and the MGs in it with the stugs in support. Keep the ACs in the gullies. Tanks blow the stuffings out of any infantry that shows itself.

Turn 10-20 Assault the rasied fort sweeping into the buildings (try keeping a platoon in reserve in their HTS, it fun to conduct an armoured assault with them). Bring the armour forward en masse and use it to engage any T34s or light tanks with overwhelming numbers at close range.

Mop up.

Soviet versus the AI is a no brainer as the AI is a no brainer.

Have fun.

No link, it was on the disk (it should be a default game in the Battles section). I'll post the scenario name when i get home.

PF, thanks, i'll have to look around and see what your talking about. I've played the germans and got them killed so many times vs the Russian AI i see the fear in my little fellows E-eyes and reading their little E-bibles soon as the game loads up. LOL

A few last thoughts on this as it is one of my favourites and I just finished a game versus a friend (I as the Soviets, marginal defeat).

Concentrate as the Germans, thie biggest mistake is advancing on a broad front and be defeated piecemeal. Take one bulding at a time, advancing on a limited front.

The other mistake is to advance to early. Don't rush, as those AA guns are murder. Kill them first then advance. Remember, you are told where they are from the start.

Bring you flamethrowers forward AFTER a safe building has been secured (keeping a half track spare for their transport isn't a bad idea). Advancing them with the troops is a good way to lose them. They are best used to ensure that the station remains in your control.

Don't duel with the soviet t34's at range as they have better guns,armour and experiance. Get up close and mob them with superior numbers.

The German AA gun is vital for the late game as (I forgot this) Soviet air turns up in force. So keep the AA hidden and your tanks seperate from your infantry, As air tends to target vehicles and large explosions cause discomfort.

Last, don't lose your mortars, they are essential. And I've never really found a use for that infantry gun.

Have fun.

Good to hear.

With the SiGs (and Marders,NAshorns,etc) don't just leave them in place blasting away. They are large, poorly armoured targets which heavy MGs can punch holes in all the way out to a thousand meters. Move them. Use shoot and scoot tactics. Wheel them into sight of a target timing it so they will be in sight by the start of next turn. Then shoot and roll them out of sight. Repeat. With their massive gun you can area fire (meaning you can deny your target a shot to you) to get the shot away and still cause damage.

For future games search this board. A fellow by the name of JasonC produced some excellent training missions and he also produced some posts tactics on using infantry that are essential reading.

The computer dulls quickly as an opponent and you will discover a whole new game against a live person.

I've got a small PBEM going (although my opponent likely thinks he may die before we really finish it, LOL)

He's been giving me pointers and helping some. I've read some of Jasons stuff, and yep, he writes as someone who has played a few on this LOL.

I'm a long time wargamer, i just haven't used this platform. It's not the same as the older games where broken units don't exist or typically get treated as intact units.

This is as much a battle simulation as it is a game. It's a foreign concept to "tell them what to do" instead of the usual "planning and execution" that all other games i've played use.

It's very neat.

And i may have overdone it with my Sigs, they took off all 9 shots at the heavy AA placements and i used the IV's to quiet the lights.

That little field gun you've not found a use for, i have.

Place it to the far left just down the slope so that it can target the upper left corner of the train station but all else is out of LOS. Blast away to keep the MG there down. As time goes on, the little bugger seems to inch up the hill and can target upper floors elsewhere. I'm pretty good with him. LOL