Maps of Kalach due west of Volgograd

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Go west, young man!

1:100,000 Topos of Russia

Click on the index.gif at the bottom of the list to first get your bearings. Looks like Kalach-a-Donu is in the 'M38' section, right around the 43.5-long / 49-Lat coordinates. Click the back button to get into the M38 folder, and start rooting around until you find the right map.

Ah! Yer a star. I was searching all over this website but obviously not close enough. many, many thanks Kingfish, that's brilliant. It's for the next Strachwitz scenario where he is involved in capturing the bridge over the Don in August 1942. Now we can start with the map. :D:D

Cheers fur noo

George

Mnay thnaks for the link. i've just been trawling through it, but would'nt you believe it the maps missing from the M38 folder are the ones I need! M38 133 - 135 and M38 121 - 123.

Anyone out there have those maps perchance? I've tried googling for them but the only links I come up with don't allow me to access the maps, must be some sort of restricted server or some such thing.

If the worse comes to the worse google earth has some good images and the maps of the surrounding area, plus photos we have give a good idea of the terrain, Still be nice to work from an actual map. Fingers crossed...

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by McAuliffe:

If google shows high res coverage for that area, you're better off with google earth, then with a map of 1:100,000, in my opinion. I mean, what detail will you find on a map that shows only 1 cm for 1 km real life? Or are you thinking in CMC terms?

Thanks for your post. 'Fraid there is no high res coverage for that area (although I'm using the freebie version of Google Earth), still it has some info I can use, and I've found a few other maps that all help.

I figure with the nature of the terrain here that we will have to allow some artistic licence in the making of this map. For those big steppe maps I tend to make em at half actual scale, otherwise your average CMBB map would just be a large expanse of flatness - with maybe a house, or two.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

P.S. Mr Pickie would like to point out that the scale 1mm = 100,000 works out as 1mm = 100m so is OK (not brilliant) for CM terms, at least as a start point. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best use for any sort of satellite images is to extract info that you don´t normally have available on topographical maps, that would be type of agriculture (if any), something that did not change during past 50-60 years when considering larger areas in less crowded parts of europe (incl. Russia). One can figure out just by color if a particular area is a pasture or a wheat field, the more if the satellite image was taken in summer (most likely).

Originally posted by Kingfish:

Go west, young man!

1:100,000 Topos of Russia

Click on the index.gif at the bottom of the list to first get your bearings. Looks like Kalach-a-Donu is in the 'M38' section, right around the 43.5-long / 49-Lat coordinates. Click the back button to get into the M38 folder, and start rooting around until you find the right map.

Panther Games (Highway to the Reich, et al.) is developing a company level East Front game and the mapmaker group came upon this revelation in the development forum regarding these Russian maps:

"your link pointed me to the same modern maps we have. Everybody (me included) thought at first that 1942 was the good year. Alas no. The (russian)inscription are:

1. The system of coordinates of 1942

2. publication 1984

3. The map shows terrain based on materials of survey 1934,35 yr. corrected on the map of scale 1:50,000, renovated in 1980.

Just a heads-up.

Hi Simovitch

Contours pretty much stay the same though - although stuff like buildings, drained ground and sometimes even river flow and such like is done to artistic licence. Still they are a useful start point for larger CMBB maps.

I find that making CMBB maps you end up using any and all info available then doing the best with what you have. Guess that is why most of the stuff I put out comes under semi-historical as the map info is the one that all the peices of the jigsaw rarely come together on.

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by Aragorn2002:

George, gorgeous map. One of the links of the pictures seems to be wrong though. The first picture is linked to the second.

OOPS! yer right redface.gif

Sorted - thanks for spotting that and letting me know. Looks like the scenario will be out early next week so you can chck it out for real :D

Cheers fur noo

George