North Atlantic Gameplay

kenfedoroff

Consider the possibility of being able to move fleet units from any sea hex on the North edge of the board to any functional port in Norway.

1.This would increase the strategic significance of Norway. (Why was Hitler so eager to go after Norway so early in the war? Did the occupation of Norway make it more difficult for the Allies to bottle up the German fleet as they did in WW1?)

2.Some sort of "operational fleet movement" (from a functional port in Norway only) gives the Axis player the threat of un-leashing the Bismarck into the N. Atlantic. It would also allow an alternate route for damaged subs to re-supply.

3.The Allied player would have to consider this threat before charging off to the Med. to hammer the Italian fleet!(Historical).

4.As it stands now, sub warfare seems to merely provoke the USA into early entry of the war. Some sort of "operational fleet movement" from Norway to the N. Atlantic might allow sub warfare to be a more rewarding strategic opportunity.

5.Upon the USA's entry into the war, could one or both of their ports be activated as target ports?(such as Halifax and Liverpool). This would allow the Axis Player to expand his threat potential via sub warfare. The clever Axis player could even position a sub near this "target port" in anticipation of the USA's entry into the war, and score a quick kill on some MPP's, just as they did historically.

Keep up the good work.

Sincerely, Ken

[ September 16, 2002, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: kenfedoroff ]

Some good points that I agree with, especially about operating Navy units out of Norway. As of now the only real way to break out ships is a channel dash. It would be nice to simulate a German breakout but the Question is why bother? SC is a great game but it does not portray the battles in the Atlantic at all realistically. The only time the Kriegsmarine is useful in SC is when it is used as cannon fodder to distract UK forces when going for Sea Lion. There is no point in breaking out the Bismarck into the Atlantic because there is nothing for it to do there. It cannot commerce raid! And unlike its historical counterpart it cannot out run anything so trying to harass the British capital ships is suicide. I have had fun with the German navy after creating a Full Campaign that started with an upgraded Scharnhorst and Gnesinau as Battleships, the Tirpitz and Bismarck in harbor at strength 6 to simulate fitting out, 4 cruiser fleets to represent the K,Nurnberg,Hipper, and Graf Spee class cruisers, and the Graf Zeppelin for good measure. I also added some ships to the RN for play balance and up graded the Hood to BB status. It was a load of fun to employ Adm. Scheer's WWI strategy and try to lore away a few RN ships at a time and than sink them with my small German navy. However that has little to do with the topic at hand. I am all in favor of improving the war at sea in SC but I'm not sure if it is worth the effort if the German Navy can't accomplish anything once it breaks out. If by chance German Battleships are give a movement bonus and can commerce raid, it is a different story. How about a new Commerce Raiding Unit that is only available to Germany?