Computer AI opponent vs. Human opponent

Bromley

At what level would I have to be able to consistently beat the AI on to stand a chance against an average human player?

I know that there are loads of variables, not least that even a stupid human player will do unexpected things and the different bidding systems, but there must be a level that you usually play at.

The AI is only a punching bag against which you can develop tactics. It has no real playing ability unless you stack everything in it's favor. As I don't get a chance to play much against humans, I've made a few scenariow that heavily favor one side and I give that one to the AI. It's like playing solitaire, literally, just something to do for a little while so you don't forget how the units move.

It's best to play the AI with the FoW off, so it can see where everything is, otherwise it never quite figures out what is going on. Set it at Expert.

When you feel your tactics are good, then it's time to start playing humans. Don't worry much about strategy because you won't really see any till you've got a live opponent and then you'll encounter numerous variations on the same basic ideas.

Good Luck.

[ February 23, 2004, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Bromley

Playing against the AI is good as far as learning the mechanics of SC, as well as when you have no one else but want a game. Its not much good as a trainer for play against Humans.

So basically, I would suggest that you play the AI with no bonuses, until you understand what happens in SC. Then find some human opponents. Further playing against the AI will do little to increase your SC skill level.

The paradox is that AI is decent tactically, but lousy strategically--and in a game called "Strategic Command," that's a considerable drawback.

If you want good AI games without making your own scenarios, try playing the later scenarios (Kursk, Citadel, Overlord) as Allies, give AI Expert +2 exp bonus and try to win the war by May, 1945. Or play as Axis and try to extend the war past May, 1945. The later scenarios don't require much strategic thought, so AI can chug his way along decently.

Also, against AI, use some self-control about how much air you buy/use. You will always be able to win against AI with an overwhelming number of air units--you'll have to restrain yourself on this...

Playing against humans will actually involve strategic thought/decision-making that is extremely difficult to recreate with a computer, and the only way to learn this is against humans.

[ February 24, 2004, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: santabear ]

a fun thing with the computer is to see how fast as the axis you can take great britain after running thru poland etc. and to my suprise sometimes the game will be over in 1941 if britain is conquered by sept.29th. but when that happens you only get about 170 or 180 victory points.