Enable Italy?

Jon Patrick

As originally posted by Bill Macon:

... the extra MPPs needed to do all this needs to be weighed. It's still a fun idea.

Weighed with a finer device than a semi-truck trailer scale.

I had a long, involved counter-argument all prepared, and then you fell back to this "fun idea" notion. Good that you did.

You have to take into account (... as with HQ to Sweden or not? Experience gained = amount of MPPs spent on transport/Ops?) the seriously limited budget of Italy, EVEN WITH some free gifts granted by Germany.

Italy enters the fray in summer of '41 -- how on earth can you go off on adventure in sunny Russia, AND provide this skeletal defense of Sicily, AND garrison that lengthy peninsula of mainland Italy AND still protect Libya, AND buy the HQ & Air Fleet AND purchase some Industrial Tech, AND...

You are spending MPPs all over the place as if an American Corporate Exec building expansive mansions in Malibu and Gold Coast, all the while his play-toy company is foundering in bankrupt court, yes? :rolleyes:

[ July 30, 2002, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Immer Etwas ]

I had a long, involved counter-argument all prepared, and then you fell back to this "fun idea" notion. ... Italy enters the fray in summer of '41 --
Hey, I admit to falling victim to the Novice and Green level rampages of Europe, like some crack cocaine addict, but at least I know what year it was. tongue.gif

I'll go back to default settings before I pick up too many bad habits between now and when the full game arrives. I agree the Italian expeditionary force idea has risk, but may have some merit depending on what the situation is. If Italy gains naval superiority in the Med after an early confrontation with the Brits, then it may be worthwhile. Nothing should be ruled out in this game. ;)

You know, as much as I personally like the thought of Commando Supremo presiding over some effective military campaigns, I would probably shy away from giving Italy too many MPPs that would otherwise go German.

When you think about it, in the full game it is likely that Germany will have a decent edge on technology and I-tech advances due to starting earlier and plundering the hell out of its neighbors before Italy even comes in. Thus, MPPs to Germany can probably buy cheaper and better units than those to the Italians, who are coming in in (all together now) mid-1940.

I do like the idea of maybe two from the list of Yugoslavia, Greece, and V-France falling within the Italian sphere of influence. It would help to strengthen them a little. Also, those were all countries coveted by Il Duce in real life.

Parenthetically, is it just me or is invading Yugoslavia in any way helpful to the Axis? It seems as if the regular Yugo forces cluster defensively around Belgrade and don't trouble you yet if you take the country those damned partisan units keep popping up every single freaking turn and wanting to ride the canals of Venice and such. There just don't seem to be the MPPs from holding Belgrade to justify the hassle and cost of constantly strengthening your garrison forces.

I found another interesting little bug. If Italy takes France (this happened to the computer in a Gold Demo game) France cannot trace a line of supply to Italy unless Vichy or Switzerland are taken. This has the immmediate effect of all the French resources and cities only getting up to level 5 rather than 8. This costs Italy c. 25 MPP's a turn.

By the same token there is a logical reason to take Yugoslavia and give it to the Italians - Albania (and greece if taken) produce more income. I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's worth messing with the Yugoslavian Partisans.