Liberated France / Free French

xwormwood

I am not sure if i found a bug or an unfinished thought. When you liberate Paris France comes back in play. But the "Free French"-units don't turn into "liberated French" units, they keep their "Free French"-UK level. In my opinion they should furthermore fight only for their blue French motherland, not for the UK. What do they want to free that they refuse to join "FREE FRANCE" again? Napoleons Empire??

Bad enough that Vichy refuse to join a free France, but when even "Free French"-units refuse to join a free France - mmh, sounds like this would be a good joke for Monty Python's Flying Circus.

By the way: if "Free French"-units don't belong to France and don't participate from UK-research, they will always fight with sticks and stones.

I stumbled upon this when i liberated France, conquered Vichy and entered Rome with a "Free French" corps. I guess Churchil still laughs in his grave that the UK got the loot from Italy...

;)

After failing to be reelected in 45, old Winston took a painting vacation to the very area where Mussolini was last seen alive. They say he spent only a small part of his time painting and the rest he spent looking for Mussolini's luggage, presumably searching for "Dear Benito" letters from the twenties and thirties!

Agreed about the French and Free French units in SC; a truly bizarre situation in every way.

During the actual war much of the French Army equipment in late 44 consisted of US Army obsolescent ordinance. For example, in the photos of DeGaule and Leclerc marching through Paris you see rows of Stuart tanks with French drivers sticking their heads out of the turrets. Photos from the previous day of American troops parading the same route shows an army with much more modern equipment and, incidentally moving directly into further battle. So maybe Hubert hasn't got the equipment level thing wrong after all.

[ March 23, 2003, 06:50 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

The Free French units were never trusted by the US or UK, too many political problems. Thier only common bond was the dislike of Germany. I don't remember the exact event but at one point in late 1944 (plunder of Germany?) they disagreed on the policy set by Ike and refused to allow US units or supply through their ZOC (this was a devision sized unit), they were surrounded by combat units and 'forced' to follow the allies plan. Some friends! And good reason why they recived the cast off equipment.

In the frogs defence, Ike was a political fool and his only thought was on winning the war and getting everybody home, fast. In his defence he had to follow orders from Washington, and the very sick/druged up president FDR.

Iron Ranger

Interesting post, glad you wrote it, clears a few things up in my own mind.

Ike was definitely a political novice. At the time and for a few years afterward, he was being seen as Harry Truman's successor on the -- Democratic! -- Presidential ballot. So he hadn't even decided what party he was a member of.

One of Eisenhower's last assignments as a general was to go on an official visit to see MacArthur in Japan. MacArthur took him aside and asked what he thought about one of them running for president. Eisenhower said he had no political ambitions. MacArthur smirked and patted his shoulder, saying, "Good, good, keep that up and you'll be president for sure!"

xwormwood

Glad my speculation amused you, when it occurred to me I had the same reaction. ;)

[ March 24, 2003, 05:14 AM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

An oddity I noticed...

After you liberate france, the free french units stay british, but they go by the French research level.

I was able to get france up to AT level one and this allowed me to increase the free french units to strength 11. Of course the british had to pay the MPP to get them to that strength.

Just plain odd.