When UK is defeated, Free French surrenders

Norse

In my latest PBEM, I defeated Britain. I noticed that all the allied Free French units disbanded when the British gave up :(

That was too bad, because the guy did a stroke of genius. He sent 1 Free French (FF) corp into Gibraltar, so Italy had some work to do there. I actually looked foreward to that battle. But then, UK surrenders and bom, all FF units gone. The path was open all the way to Baltimore.

I suggest the following:

When Britain is defeated, then the British units become "Free British" the same way France get's "Free French". The "Free" units never surrenders, and keep fighting till they are either dead, or the war is lost.

This would be a big boost for the allied cause. Think about it, if Britain is defeated now, then the allied navy can still consist of all the American vessels + Free French battleships + Free British carriers. This could give USA the last minute boost that it needs to get "Fortress America", so Germany will have big troubles to invade USA. The way it is now, when Britain surrenders, then it is a open way all the way to Baltimore...

What do you guys think of this?

~Norse~

It makes even more sence when we call it the "Free Commonwealth" instead of the "Free British".

Imagine all the Indian, Australian, South-African, and so forth, military personell that is fighting all over in Europe. If Britain surrenders, then it is definately a chance that these Commonwealth units will keep fighting (imagine a corp in Egypt still hanging in there, etc).

Hubert, "Free Commonwealth" units ;) Go go go, add it to the game. Do not ask questions just do as your told!! :D:D:D

~Norse~

Interesting, though perhaps that would add to the complication of things. How much MPP would Canada get anyhow?

IMO "Free Commonwealth" would do the trick. Then you can always ship whatever you still got over to Canada.

~Norse~

[ September 30, 2002, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Norse ]

How about "Free Italians" and "Free Germans"? What if ALL units had the ability to fight on (asuming that a friendly major power still exist)?

It should be a % chance, perhaps based on experiance and strength. Maybe a 1 strength corps that is green may just decide to hang it up, but the full stregth elite unit may just be fanatical...

Originally posted by Norse:

Interesting, though perhaps that would add to the complication of things. How much MPP would Canada get anyhow?

IMO "Free Commonwealth" would do the trick. Then you can always ship whatever you still got over to Canada.

~Norse~

Fine, let's use Free Commonwealth. The capital could be Ottawa and all Brit areas not controlled by the Axis could be considered free and sending their resources to the FC. Forces could be built in Canada and Alexandria (to show Aus/NZ/Indian forces). I am sure the Brits, particularly the Navy, would have fought on from one of their former colonies.

Originally posted by Canuck_para:

I agree Canuck_para, although this is another option that Hubert must decide on, just wanted to say that I support this suggestion.

PnzCommander writes about Free Germans and Free Italians. This does raise the interesting question wheter every nation should follow the "Free" formula from France. So let's look at it.

When Italy surrendered, all their land units were disbanded because Germany confiscated their weapons. But, the Germans *did* rescue Mussolini, and Mussolini was sat to control "whatever Italian resources are left, within Axis territory, to contribute to our Axis cause." In addition, some ships in the Italian navy continued to fight for the axis cause, even though Italy itself had surrendered (I'll try to get some more information about this).

This could give Italy the option of having a few axis units remaining, although it must be following a very strict formula, so maybe 1 or 0 Italian units remain in the game (considering that the Germans confiscated their weapons).

Imagine the '44 campaign, and you have one Italian naval counter in the Venice harbour. That would be very spicey! smile.gif

-

About the Germans, when Germany surrendered, then the German high command had plans to go to their axis territory in Norway, and create "Fortress Norway", the final axis stronghold. Within game context, Italy must still be in the war for this to be even be an option. For me, I could care less wheter Germany get's "free" units or not. I really don't think that would make or breake the game. When Germany surrenders, the war is pretty much over anyway.

Sovjet is simple, in my opinion, they should have partisans all the way. Even when Sovjet surrenders, the partisans should keep popping up (just like it is in Yoguslavia). I don't think Sovjet should get free partisans AND "free" sovjet units. That's too much IMO, although that would definately be interesting... Perhaps as an option?

-

What concerns me most, is that by the time Britain and France falls, then USA have normally only just gotten into the game. With Britain and France out, USA is unable to defend itself against Germany - even when Sovjet attack's like crazy on the east-front!

At the very least, the Free French should continue fighting, even after Britain surrenders. That would help alot. It would help even more, if Britain get's their share of "Free commonwealth" units as well. With this incorporated into the game, USA just might stand a chance against Germany.

Cheers

~Norse~