Ever Play the other Scenarios ?

Steve C

Just curious, the '39 scenario seems to be the most popular by far - do you use any of the others ? I can understand the popularity of '39 as it creates the broadest canvas for strategic planning and research management.

However, the others ones would seem to have some advantages as well. For human vs. human you could start later if time was a constraint or if you want to avoid the Dutch Gambit and the like. Playing the '39 scenario against the AI, seemingly any player worth his salt should be able to outwit the AI when it comes to crafting a coherent grand strategy, however the other ones might allow the AI to close the gap a little against the devious human mind.

Take the '44 Overlord campaign. I haven't had time to play it at any length yet, but booted it up today to watch the initial AI move against my Axis forces. The AI has plenty of tough units and air fleets on the Eastern Front and launched a fairly strong Overlord invasion on the Western side. It looks to me like it might be a good challenge to take the Axis side of the '44 scenario at Expert / +1 or 2 and see if things can be turned around.

Any thoughts on playing these later campaign scenarios ?

[ February 26, 2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

Interesting take on the '44 scenario, guys. Maybe I'll try it on +0. '43 may be a better pick then, in terms of Axis playability, though I don't have confidence in the AI making a good Overlord if it isn't scripted for the first turn, as is the case with '44. Only scratched the surface on this one, looking at the opening set-ups. Though it's titled "Kursk", I was hard-pressed to identify the Russian salient or the associated German assault forces, given the grand scale of SC.