Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

New CMBB Bibliography section now open...

Madmatt

While not specific to SC, I thought some of the people here might be interested in the books listed....

We have just added a new Bibliography page for CMBB which lists some of the best books available on the Eastern Front.

All books are on sale from Amazon and we have included links to order from them for your convenience.

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmbb/biblio.html

Madmatt

Moving this to the General Discussion Forums...

just kidding ;)

Edit: Just took a quick look at the list myself and have to agree that this is a really nice collection for anyone interested in the Eastern Front, might just have to add a few of these books to my own bookshelf :cool:

Hubert

[ February 18, 2003, 06:01 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

Thanks for the link, some good titles there for sure....One thing though. David Glantz: the man really knows his stuff, no question about it but does anyone else find droning through page after page of "and then the 15th Guards Army, supported by elements of 415th Motorized Divsion and the 566th Gulag Punishment Brigage, launched its attack on Gologniviborsk where the XLVIII Panzer Corps was concurrently relieving Kampfgruppe Rotweiller..." a real chore ? Seems kind of like doing homework. :D

How about some some books which are more the equivalent of SC as opposed to CMBB ? Let me start out with a good one: A War to be Won: Fighting the Second World War by Murray and Millett. This is an operational history, with only as much diplomacy and politics included to properly set the stage. Very well-written and a breezy read, despite the length. Only drawback is not enough maps, but easily remedied with access to any good WW2 atlas.

[ February 18, 2003, 10:10 PM: Message edited by: Steve C ]

Steve C.

Read a few Russian and German books like that where the translater had no imagination. Your remark reminded me of them. Unfortunately the basic info was too good and I was stuck reading the damn things but, as you say, it was like having root canal work. Grateful for the laugh.

[ February 18, 2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Looks like my bookshelf at home.

One book I should add to the list that is missing from above is also a wonderful Glantz book:

Stumbling Colossus - The Red Army on the Eve of World War

This book is extremely detailed and you can relate it directly to SC. I know that if I ever design a SC scenario for Barbarossa I will use that book as a foundation for the Russian dipositions and readiness.

Currently I am Reading Reese's book "Stalin's Reluctant Soldiers" this is a social history of the Red Army from 1925-1941. Currently I am about 80 pages into it and it deals more with social issues such as soldiers lives, living conditions, discipline, etc.

I own or have read most of the books on the posted list, fairly good reads. Of course stuff I read a long time ago such as Panzer Battles I can't remember much about. LOL

I did not like Beevor's Berlin 1945 book. I have some issues with it. I will not deny the atrocities committed by the Soviet troops. But as a book about the Battle of Berlin, it spends way too much time dealing with those aspects and loses focus of the battle. When the book is discussing the battle the book is good.

It's very important to be well read.

[ February 19, 2003, 01:20 PM: Message edited by: Konstatin V. Kotelnikov ]