How-To play Strategic Command in Linux ;-)

Norse

Hello guys! I have successfully installed and played Strategic Command in Linux! :D:D

To do it, you must install WINE for Linux. This is a win16 and win32 api layer for Linux, so you can run Windows programs. Wine is under constant development, and they are about 80% "there", as they need to code in all the Windows calls and such (of course this work will never end, as Microsoft keeps upgrading their DirectX etc). Anyway, Wine is free, and it works for Unix, Solaris and BSD as well.

http://www.winehq.com/about/

This opens alot of flexibility up, as Wine runs SC!! :D

I had perfect speed and visuals when I ran SC in Linux. I had no sound, but copying a .dll from the Windows System folder should fix this.

Great, now I definately have no more need to boot Windows (right... I keep telling myself that... :rolleyes: )

Alright, cheers! ;)

~Norse~

[ October 16, 2002, 04:19 AM: Message edited by: Norse ]

WINE....the BEAST!!! I tried WINE (admittedly a few years ago) and I have never seen so many memory leaks. As such, I am skeptical of ever installing it again on my system. It is 80% there? They have been at it since, I believe, the first Bush administration. ;)

Better solution. I know that ISE Eiffel makes a Linux version of their development studio. Maybe after Hubert makes his millions off SC1 :D he can hire guys to do a Linux port of SC2 and WINE will not be needed. smile.gif

regards,

Ray

Daystorm, it is possible with Eiffel to compile to linux format. Hubert, if I remember correctly now, updated Eiffel along the way to get some new features or so. The result is that, to port SC natively to Linux now will actually require that Hubert goes back in code, and change the things that is not compitable. This is his answer from the top of my head, yeah I have already asked ;)

About your experiences with Wine, hehe, yes... haven't we all been down that road. At first, I couldn't even get notepad.exe to work tongue.gif But trust me, SC runs fine smile.gif You don't even need a real Windows partition to use for .dll's (but if you do, then you should get sound!)

Try it and let's see if it works for you too! smile.gif

~Norse~

Originally posted by TwoSheds:

here's a thought: use windows OS to run a windows app. any effort at compiling to linux is effort not applied to 99.9% of the SC user base.

I was just joking anyway TwoSheds. I would never even suggest that any development effort be wasted by porting SC to Linux. I would much rather see a nice, stable, TCP/IP enabled Windows SC. I don't champion Linux as a viable desktop alternative to Windows. If I want I nice Unix based desktop I would us Mac OS X.

regards,

Ray

Originally posted by Norse:

Why are you trolling Ray?

Trolling? wtf? Are you serious? I don't want to get into a debate regarding Linux as a desktop in here, but I will debate the point via email (in a good-natured fashion of course). The address in my contact info is fine. I really don't see the post as a troll, nor was it intended as one. Perhaps the troll is in the eye of the beholder I guess. ;)

Only a RedHat user would be this touchy. Now that was a troll. And a joke. :D

cheers,

Ray

[ October 16, 2002, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: daystrom ]

If I want to play SC on Linux, what is your issue with that?

And no, I am not going to mail you to try and convince you that you must scrap Windows, or bother to listen to your opinions on other operating systems. If you want to use Windows, that is fine. I am merely showing people how this game can be run in other Posix based operating systems, if that is what they want.

I thought you had a problem getting it to run at start, until you where saying you're just flaming.

Move along...

~Norse~

Norse, I have been using Linux for close to seven years, I have it (Slackware) running on three of my machines here at home (when I post this the packets are going to go through my Linux gateway as a matter of fact). I am most certainly not anti-Linux, I am just getting too old to frig around with my OS anymore, so I go with what works best with what (in terms of software on my desktop) right off the bat. Seriously, no harm intended and I apologize for any offense on my part. As you said, moving along...

Ray