As one who couldn't play the demo yet ...

Straha

... I took the time to sift through the posts so far to find out about what people think would constitute a "most wanted" list:

- Make subs a bit cheaper, a bit more effective against transports, and reduce the effect of "surprise" against them.

- Reduce or remove the effect of automatic supply for surrounded fortifications.

- Maybe the airfleet at Malta should be replaced (possible alternative: having an allied Malta reduce the supply for Italian possessions in Africa, just like the subs do.)

- purchase screen should stay open as long as one does not actively close it. (Not sure whether I understood that correctly, but it seems one has to open it for every unit?)

- The move-and-attack system seems to be like the one in Panzer General (the first game). You have to move and to attack immediately. So you can't position your forces first, and attack in a last phase (so to speak). Because players requested this, SSI changed it for Pacific General: now you could move, deselect, move another unit etc., and then attack with the units who had only moved but not attacked yet later in the turn. I have to say that this improved gameplay greatly. That's why I suggest to implement it in SC, too. (Note that this is not the same request as having combined attacks, though it clearly would open the door for it.)

I left out the technical problems, but the "Alt-Tab" issue seems worth stressing.

Of course on top of the most wanted list for me is to have the game itself. smile.gif I'm glad to hear that people already love it. :cool:

Straha

[ May 21, 2002, 03:33 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Jeff, too, posted a list just one minute after me which contained additional points. I support his suggestions, especially

- show the strike ranges for selected units, as well as consider different shadings for units with respect to action points (full,points left, moved)

- organize reinforcements through a single screen.

- let the subs *at least* not be surprised by transports. smile.gif

Others also restated our old desire to have

- more distinctive graphics for units and cities of different nations.

Straha

[ May 21, 2002, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Originally posted by Straha:

- more distinctive graphics for units and cities of different nations.

The units for most countries are different, and so can be customized, but the cities all share the same BMP. Though I did take the capital BMP and flipped it horizontally so it's easier to distinguish from regular cities. Heh. My first mod. tongue.gif

- Chris

The game is GREAT!

I have been playing it for several hours and with many different strategies (amazing what one can do in one year only smile.gif )

I have some suggestions for improvement:

Show the tension level on the main screen (it is easy to forget it when it is on another screen)

Make a "next unused unit" button to help finding units and making it shaded (or so) when all units have been considered prevents forgetting anything (a lone sub in the Atlantic for example)

I don't have any knowledge of naval combat but it is very "fast" in the game. Italy could wipe out all allied ships in the med in two turns (and destroying their navy at the same time) and French fleets could sail into Kattegat and destroy the entire German navy... Perhaps if naval units could sustain more damage the naval war would last longer?

Originally posted by Swift:

...Make a "next unused unit" button to help finding units and making it shaded (or so) when all units have been considered prevents forgetting anything (a lone sub in the Atlantic for example)...

Swift,

Here is a list of hot keys. You'll find what you need there.

Originally posted by Straha:

- Reduce or remove the effect of automatic supply for surrounded fortifications.

I think you meant to put reinforcement, not suppy. Different things, I think.