Feed back from a newbie

Skanvak

I have just finished invaded the USA with the Axis.

I should say that I like the game, being a long time wargamer, and it remind me of "Future".

Globally better, I should say that I have some critics.

_ no ingeneer or parachutist.

_ no lend lease (the USSR production is too high and the allied too low). Shipping to the USSR was an important part of the war in Russia.

_ the area of the map. I think that a somewaht bigger area would have been more fun : including the whole scandinavia and a bit more of the egyptian desert. No Iceland.

_ On the map, letting the posssibility to invade the USA is fun, but then why made the USA and Canada an off map looking areaabsolutely not the standard of the rest of the map. I really think that making a a realistic map of US and canada to the same scale as the main map should made the invasion of America a great experience and not an exercice at massing counter in a small area.

_ There are no 1936 scenario.

As a day dreaming question, do you think that battle front will make a pacific extension?

New reaction after some game.

_ having the possibility to have a separate russian player. And why not make a competitive play between the USSR and Allies (which could evolve to total war if it goes bad for the German)

_ the editor should offer more possibility, especially making France, UK, Germany neutral in order to be able to try real what if.

_ I read somewhere that the game designer where wanting to allow a lot of what if. Then I think (convince in fact) that the germano-soviet pact (especially in three player) and the creation of Vichy France should be left to the option of the player, not be automatic.

[ March 14, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Skanvak ]

Originally posted by Skanvak:

As a day dreaming question, do you think that battle front will make a pacific extension?

I hope that they will, but we don't really know. SC2 is currently in progress, but so far we have been told very little about it.

A lot of your comments have already been brought up and discussed over the last year or so, and it is hoped that some of them at least will be resolved in the next version.

I have just finished invaded the USA with the Axis.

I should say that I like the game, being a long time wargamer, and it remind me of "Future".

Globally better, I should say that I have some critics.

_ no ingeneer or parachutist.

Before someone jumps in and says to search old posts, I'll give you the short replies to your problems and why things are like that. Generally, this one is because it's outside the scale of the game. Smallest units are corps and both of the mentioned units are smaller. There were big fights about this one when the game first came out though, so who knows, maybe we'll see them in SC2.

_ no lend lease (the USSR production is too high and the allied too low). Shipping to the USSR was an important part of the war in Russia.

The lend lease is already factored in, that's one reason allied production is low and Russian is high. It's considering the fact that there's already some MPPs being funnelled from the allies to Russia. Also, it takes into account the two front war for the US, so you're not seeing full US production, you're seeing what's left after lend lease and the Pacific theater are taken into account.

_ the area of the map. I think that a somewaht bigger area would have been more fun : including the whole scandinavia and a bit more of the egyptian desert. No Iceland.

_ On the map, letting the posssibility to invade the USA is fun, but then why made the USA and Canada an off map looking areaabsolutely not the standard of the rest of the map. I really think that making a a realistic map of US and canada to the same scale as the main map should made the invasion of America a great experience and not an exercice at massing counter in a small area.

These are both the same issue. This was a windows problem. When Hubert designed the game, there was a limit to how much he could put on the map caused by windows. What you see is the best compromise at the time. SC2 Should be much improved in this respect considering that problem should be gone, and this is the single biggest issue people have problems with.

_ There are no 1936 scenario.

It is kind of possible to make your own. There are some good scenarios out there for the game. The editor isn't full featured, but it can be forced into a different shape if you want to take the time. Also, because the game is more military focused than political, 1936 wouldn't be a very good starting point because until '39, there was no real military action. If you want to make a scenario where the French and British (And possibly Italians) actually stand up to Germany over Austria or Czechoslovokia, that is quite possible.

Enjoy the game, always good to see another customer for Hubert.

Yes, nice reply, Wolfack.

A disclaimer first, the game arrived recently in my country that's why I can't look at a full year of posts. I have look at the FAQ but there was no part on it. May be a sum up of those question could be interesting or give me link to the topics they are adressed.

Comment on lend lease : though what you said is true, I think that it should be at the option of the ally to give ressource or not to the USSR.

I think I have more to say, but I need to pratice a bit more the game.