Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Musolinis Dream

Gen.Metaxas

While I am waiting for the full release I have been creating strategies for Italy.

Delema

Use Italy as part of Barbarosa

or

Fulfill Musolini's Dream (Turn the Medeteranian into a Romen empire)

In the demo's 1 year time frame I have been able to conquer Swiss, Yougoslavia and Greece before the game ends, using only italian units + some german air strikes.

Has anybody done better or used a different strategy with the Italians.

Thanks

Gen.Metaxas

Italy can be a major player, and by securing the MPPs for conquering Yugo & Greece, they can build up quite a formidable force. IMO, Italy is potentially a winning strategy for the Axis. :D

I enjoy this strategy as well (except I do not take Switzerland, preferring to leave it as a mountainous barrier for the Allies, post D-Day) and -- with a little more time, anticipate taking Egypt and possibly even those inviting oil-wells of Iraq. :cool:

I don't usually dispatch them all the way to Russia, since the Brits may well decide to invade Libya, or even an early landing on Sicily/Italian mainland.

Sometimes it is too easy in the one-year Demo to forget that another player might very well foil your best laid plans. Keeping them handy to Italy seems less risky, especially for late '41 or '42. smile.gif

I have never had the allies make agressive attacks against Italy except via the navy. Nothing more than the ocassional air attacks from malta.

Edit: I usually use Italy to invade and occupy southern Russia. With all the Partisans wondering about, you have to garrison every city you take. I think Russian resistance is a bit much in 1940 and 41. Perhaps it should increase in 42 and 43 but I digress.

I also find it easier not to invade Yougoslavia. Even when the pro-allied coup takes them in the war against you, they never invade anything. They just all retreat and defend their capital.

[ June 26, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: Rediroc ]

In every game I've played, there is always an Allied Coup! soon after Greece is conquered. It is better if it is one or two turns later, which allows you to get the bulk of the Italian force in position to take Yugo.

But, the thing is -- if you have Italy fighting in Russian, it would cost enormous MPPs to operate them back to defend Italy or Libya.

And those Yugo partisans (... Russian too) do seem awful active. I wonder if -- historically, they actually had that much opportunity or power? I have had games where the Yugos seemed to be everywhere at once, and on every turn! :eek:

Well I think its silly that the partisans have the same ZOC as a normal army unit. It should only be able to control the hex it is in. Also Youg. Partisans invading Southern Germany and Hungry is silly, as I have seen them do many times.