What is 'War in Siberia'

Yup, that's it. Japan attacked in 1939? Somewhere around there. Got their butts whupped, but good. Didn't dare attack there again, but the Soviets had to keep troops in Siberia to prevent the Japs from just walking in.

There is an option, that the Soviets get to "recall" their troops, if Japan doesn't enter the war soon enough.

That's it exactly. Stalin moved his spare divisions from Siberia to the front "last minute" so to say, and only when he was sure the Japanes would sit still. War in Siberia is the hypothetical assumption that Japan attacks the USSR after Germany declares war to the US (like Hitler had hoped). This option is implemented in many wargames, and makes the USSR in 42 somewhat weaker than it historically was.

Straha

Does anyone know exactly what the Soviet side gets to redeploy, and when? It seems from looking at the map, that just a couple of corps could really make a difference when the Germans attack.

Originally posted by R_Leete:

Does anyone know exactly what the Soviet side gets to redeploy, and when? It seems from looking at the map, that just a couple of corps could really make a difference when the Germans attack.

During the late fall/winter/early spring months of either '41 or '42 this transfer will be automatically inititiated by the game to the region in and around Moscow/Ural Mountains. It will only occur if the 'War In Siberia' option is left unchecked and if there are the right conditions, i.e. Soviet existence is threatened (so if the Soviets have already creamed the German army, you won't see this transfer). Tie this in with Soviet supply rules, scorched earth strategies and it seems to have really worked out well in re-creating the ebb and flow of combat on the eastern front. Roughly (off the top of my head) it's a something like an army/corps/tank/air fleet and an HQ.

In total it works out to about an 'Army Group' at the default settings yet this could vary depending on difficulty settings chosen, i.e. be a little more or less.