New Scenario - Operation Peiper

Just uploaded the latest offering from Charlie and myself -

Operation Peiper

Peiper’s III ‘Blowtorch’ (armoured) Battalion from SS Panzergrenadier Regt 2 conducts a deep penetration mission to rescue the 320th “Heart” Infantry Division during the Battle Of Kharkov, February 1943.

http://www.the-proving-grounds.com/scenario_details_link.html?sku=922

Please enjoy, and, as always, feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers fur noo

George Mc & Charlie Meconis

Originally posted by Stoffel:

Hell of a battle,left a message at the proving grounds :D

Hi Stoffel

Was that your comments regarding Chariots? I got them, thanks and posted a reply. Glad you enjoyed it - how did the replay go/going? :D

I could'nt find any comments regarding Operation Peiper so I'm assuming you meant Chariots? smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

OK, short review.

Operation Peiper.

Spoiler follows

My mission was to make contact with surviving units on the other site of the map and bring them back home.

In the middle of the map was a river however it had ice on it so I could bring troops over it.

There was a VL.

I split up the companies and moved them one by one towards the river,there I unloaded them.

The stugs formed a cover force.

I moved the infantry across and got into a firefight soon.

But with mg teams and mortars supported by stugs the defenders at the VL were soon routed.

After I supported both flanks with B and C compagnie I sendd out A cie to make contact with the 320th.

Some infantry was left at the small vil along the road,these too were quicly killed.

Meanwhile the halftracks from A cie and B cie moved out to pick up 320 together with the trucks.

At the large VL several counterattacks by infantry followed and a small one with some light tanks,these were no match for my stugs and hmg teams.

But I enlarged the ring around the VL since it was a important part of the road.

Around turn 65 I retreated from the VL and the bridge when my last vehicle passed the bridge.

Slowly I withdrew towards the exit points.

Got a tactical victory.

Managed to exit most troops.

Losses:

2 stugs due to immobilizing.

8 trucks and 4 halftracks.

several squads and machineguns,sacrifised to cover the retreat over the river.

Map: great!!

Balance: perfect

AI: really play with +3 anything less is no match.

HtH: I think this can offer a huige challenge in HtH when playing the Germans.

Overall:

great battle!!!

Hi Stoffel

Many thanks for the taking the time to head off behind Soviet lines and save the 320th ID. Your Knights Cross is in the post ;)

Equally big thanks for the feedback. I'm glad it played out as it did. The Soviets do have reinforcements set on a low (2%) probability of appearing to add an element of 'luck' to the action for the Germans. Peiper was 'lucky' in many respects to pull of this operation heading as he did into the communication lines of the 6th Guards Cavalry Corps and not meet much in the way of opposition. Luck that ran out for him on July 14th 1976.

I'll post a full response to your comments over at TPG, meantime many thanks again for playing "Operation Peiper".

Cheers fur noo

George smile.gif