Are SC sales up?

Comrade Trapp

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It does seem that we have an increase in new players which is good. I also see that in the PBEM league. However, it also seems to me that the forum has quieted down somewhat. A year ago when I first got SC and just played the AI I would come online and just peak at this forum. It seemed "wild and crazy". I finally got involved in playing other humans and active in the forum last summer. Then it also seemed active. Perhaps this is a regular cycle that happens here. Perhaps JJ can give us some of great wisdom of his and give us his view.

A retail release always increases sales, because - the way we do it, months or sometimes more than a year after original release here at BFC - it reaches a different type of player, one that would not buy online for a number of reasons.

Martin

Thank you Curry, don't mind if I do, not sure about the Great Wisdom part but I'll try to make the most with limited resources.

-- Was holding off to see what BF would say, but we may as well open it up a bit. (Martin posted while I was writing this.)

The Forum was full of crazies in Oct '02 when I came in and remained that way till well after New Years. By crazies I mean a lot of them had little concern with either the game or history or anything other than creating friction, confusion and general mayhem. Of course there were also a lot of solid members, many of them still posting.

There was what I remember as a brief Golden Period where there were a lot of varied and interesting Threads, many of them humorous, and everyone pretty much got along.

Then there were the psychotic Trolls who derailed everything for a while. Comrade's original site did a lot to bring things back into some semblance of order as a lot of us went there to post the more outrageous stuff and this site became more dedicated to SC as commercial entity.

Comrade's first site crashed without warning and a lot of the miscellaneous Threads appeared over here again but unlike the earlier times almost none of them were locked. That was probably because they didn't have the personal attacks and overall antagonisms that was common earlier.

I think Les's site and Comrade's second site do a good job now of channeling SC topics that wouldn't be suitable for BF and again this Forum is almost purely SC related.

But getting to what I should have started with, I haven't seen this many new people since the early days of my membership. The main difference being they're coming now because they are interested in the game. Eighteen months ago a lot of people were only here because they were bored and wanted to argue.

[ March 18, 2004, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Kelly's Heroes --- "Friends all tried to tell me, but I held my head up high.....all those burning bridges......Joey tried to help me find a job, but I just won't go" --- You know what that is? Immer, can you help me out on this?

Who needs retail (once you know the game exist), buy it online. I'm sure the Canadians have invented a postal system.

Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

Kelly's Heroes --- "Friends all tried to tell me, but I held my head up high.....all those burning bridges......Joey tried to help me find a job, but I just won't go" --- You know what that is? Immer, can you help me out on this?

Who needs retail (once you know the game exist), buy it online. I'm sure the Canadians have invented a postal system.

For us poor Canucks, the exchange rate, shipping, and duty, takes a big chunk of change.

Why spend $70 for a $25 game??

The developer and publisher do not get the shipping and duty fees, so I'd rather have the extra money to buy more great wargames.

There are a lot of wargamers in Canada - publishers should find a way of getting their games into that market.

I just find it odd that Spain, Germany and France all have local access to buy the game, but two years after the game's release, Canada (where the developer lives) still does not! :confused:

I can understand the Theory of Relativity, but this situation has me greatly confused. :rolleyes:

[ March 20, 2004, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: Kelly's Heroes ]

As originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

You know what that is? Immer, can you help me out on this?

Well, let me see...

That's the theme song from "Kelly's Hereos",
OK. It's ol' Mike Curb Congregation, eh? Guess I am a back-beat too slow, although,

When it comes to enthusing the crowd,

I personally favor The Staples or The Edwin Hawkins Singers but...

Nina Simone alone

In a Prophet's old hut,

With a finger-snap quick opened

Then shut, all the while

Allowing for the slow juju moan

Of the slide-trombone,

Now at's... pretty sensational! too.

But, really,

I like Jimmy Swaggert

Tromping the bare floor boards,

Bi-speaking out 4-time

Spirit poetry - onto

The razzle-dazzled heads

Of sacred seekers

Down in wicked heart Baton Rouge,

Oh... yeah, now that's authentic... :cool:

And besides, I hope SC sales are up.

Way, way up.

Then they'll snatch that hidden copyright for

That great old board-game,

War at Sea eh? ;)

Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

For us poor Canucks, the exchange rate, shipping, and duty, takes a big chunk of change.

The developer and publisher do not get the shipping and duty fees, so I'd rather have the extra money to buy more great wargames.

There are a lot of wargamers in Canada - publishers should find a way of getting their games into that market.

I just find it odd that Spain, Germany and France all have local access to buy the game, but two years after the game's release, Canada (where the developer lives) still does not! :confused:

I can understand the Theory of Relativity, but this situation has me greatly confused. :rolleyes: </font>

Originally posted by Moon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Kelly's Heroes:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by jon_j_rambo:

I can understand the Theory of Relativity, but this situation has me greatly confused. :rolleyes: </font>

Moon --- Congrats on getting SC to the shelves in the USA. It will be interesting how sales go, good luck. I hope the young generation will spend Mom & Step-Dad's money on SC smile.gif

Immer --- Jim Records is the label.....let me see my favorites: "Yes, I Know", "Sweet Anoiting" & "I've Just Come to Praise the Lord". I had them as a kid. I ordered them on CD via the internet, there is no duty from Louisanna & to Idaho. I bought 2-CDs, & they have sent me over 50+ catalogs ever since. So my small $28 order also supports the printing companies & US Post Office.

Originally posted by Moon:

Yes, I mean local EB stores (and other chains). The game is out in US retail (EB, Gamestop...) for about a month, and is scheduled to hit Canada right around now.

Martin

Excellent - thanks for the reply.

I'll keep my eyes out - there's an EB just down the street from me. . .

I ordered sc as soon as it came out,and i played the demo for a few weeks before.

This is a game that i really like,and i play a lot,so i did not just see the game i had it in my hands and i think i would be able to tell.

Maybe somebody from battlefront could confirm this.

Thanks for the offer Blashy, unfortunately the rumours that I live in La Belle Province are false.

I'm an Ontario native born and bred, and yes, you guessed it, this also makes me a Leaf fan smile.gif Although I wouldn't mind seeing the Habs in the playoffs as well, should make for some interesting games if they meet!

Hubert